McRobbie appoints Fred Cate

IU President Michael McRobbie announced July 15 he has named Fred H. Cate the vice president for research for the University, according to an IU press 
release.

Cate is an IU Distinguished Professor, the C. Ben Dutton Professor of Law and an international expert on privacy, security and other information law and policy issues, according to the release.

From 2003 to 2014, Cate served as the founding director of IU’s Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, and he currently serves as director of the IU Center for Law, Ethics, and Applied Research in Health Information and the Center for Information Privacy and Security, while holding an adjunct appointment in the School of Informatics and Computing, according to the release.

“Fred is extremely well-suited to furthering the investments we have made in multidisciplinary and multi-campus research endeavors, reimagining our research programs so that they remain relevant and responsive to local and national economic needs and building upon the University’s traditions of excellence in the humanities, professions and social, natural and clinical sciences,” McRobbie said.

Cate graduated from Stanford Law School in 1987. He became an associate professor at the Maurer School of Law in 1990, according to the release. He is now the author of more than 150 scholarly articles and books and has generated more than $10 million in external research funding in the past decade.

“I am honored to be chosen as Indiana University’s vice president for research and to have the opportunity to work with colleagues at IU, the IU Foundation, the IU Research and Technology Corporation and many external partners to advance support for research at IU,” Cate said in the release. “Research is critical not only to the University and our students, but also to the people of Indiana and the world whose lives are advanced and transformed through new discoveries and creations,” he said. “It is a privilege to be part of the team working to facilitate world-class research at IU.”