Art opening this Friday at the John Waldron Arts Center features locals, IU graduates.

Part of the July arts exhibit titled "Earth, Water, Sky" by Margaret Gohn sits in the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center.  The exhibit will have an opening this Friday.

An art opening at the John Waldron Arts Center will be this Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. The show, featuring local artists and students, usually occurs on the first Friday of each month as a part of the “First Fridays” event to showcase local art galleries.

The event will be on the second Friday of July because of the Fourth of July holiday.

Visitors can see recently premiered art and enjoy food samples from Ivy Tech Hospitality Catering. Nearby restaurants Malibu Grill and Topo’s 403 among others will have special First Friday menu options. Also included in the July 10 event will be the Craig & the Crawdads show at 6:30 p.m. at the Waldron Hill Buskirk Park, or Third Street Park.

The art opening includes an exhibit by Natasha Lea Holmes and Christina Weaver who worked together as MFA students at IU.

Holmes and Weaver’s thesis “re-present[ed] materials through a shift in framing and an exaggeration of view” according to the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts 2014 MFA catalog.

Their work presented at John Waldron Arts Center reflects a wide scope of visual art. Some pieces require close viewing to tell if what they depicted on a flat canvas is indeed a two-dimensional image.

Sharing the space with Holmes and Weaver are artworks by Margaret Gohn, an artist originally from Indianapolis. Her exhibit is entitled “Earth, Water, Sky.” She creates her art with oil paint, wax and sand. Gohn resides in Owen County and some pieces in the show were created at the counties McCormick’s Creek State Park.

The third artist with work on display at the JWAC this July is Martinsville-based mixed-media artist Lynne Medsker.

Most of her pieces in the show are in the form of a mandala, which Medsker has practiced working with for seven years.

The show is for those “who enjoy design and lots of colors,” Medsker said.

Visitors to the Bloomington City Hall this July will see a different exhibit of Medsker’s, “Wood/Stone/Metal,” on display in the City Hall atrium.

The current exhibits on display at the JWAC will remain up for the entire month of July.

On the same block of Fourth Street as the JWAC, “First Friday’s” co-sponsor the Blueline Gallery will present “Excited Excess: Skateboards, Sharpies and Saturation” from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday featuring artists including local Joel Washington.