Andrew Luck, IU athletes teach healthy lifestyles at Change the Play camp

Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts quarterback,and IU athletics gives kids prep talk during the Change the Play Kids camp with Andrew Luck on Sunday Afternoon. Change the Play Kids Camp is held by Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health. It aims to encourage children to have a healthier lifestyle.

Andrew Luck didn’t have opportunities like the Change the Play camp. The Indianapolis Colts quarterback and his sisters would invent games to play outside until their mother called them for dinner.

However, children in Indiana now have an opportunity to learn the values of physical activity thanks to Luck teaming up with the Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health to develop the Change the Play camp for kids ages 5-13.

The two-session camp took place Sunday at the Mellencamp Pavilion. The 200 attendees at each session were able to participate in physical activities and interact with Luck, as well as IU athletes.

“The most important thing is that we are having fun and learning something in the process,” Luck said. “This camp isn’t about becoming the best football player or basketball player, soccer player, whatever it is. It’s about taking charge of your own health.”

This is the second year in a row the camp took place at IU. The camp has also traveled to Fort Wayne and West Lafayette this summer.

With so many participants, each site has held two sessions to accommodate more people. Luck said appreciated the IU athletes in attendance.

“I’ll tell you what’s also neat is the student athlete volunteers that come out,” Luck said. “That’s special for these kids to see.”

He said college athletes were the epitome of life when he was a kid, and are heroes to campers today.

IU senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld was one of the IU athletes who volunteered.

“I know when I was their age, if I would have seen a college athlete, my eyes would have gotten so big.” Sudfeld said, “Let alone an NFL athlete.”

During the camp, campers were taught about food intake, quick feet, pushups and even catching a football.

Luck wanted to encourage the kids to simply go 
outside and play.

During his opening statement, Luck spoke to parents and campers about the goals of the camp and answered questions from campers.

He was asked his favorite color, how tall he is and what his age is — twice. One camper asked how hard he’s been hit. He responded, “That I can remember?”

The camp was an opportunity for campers to have fun and interact with athletes they look up to, but it was also fun for the counselors.

“It’s awesome to see these kids so enthusiastic to come out here and work out,” Sudfeld said.