weekend

"Pitch Perfect 2 is a good time

New characters add a fun spin to the hilarious sequel.

XXX PITCH PERFECT 2 MOV jy 5111 .JPG

Grade: A-

“Pitch Perfect 2” is a very funny film. It has great performances and entertaining musical numbers. Although it is not as straightforward as the first “Pitch Perfect,” it is still a fine comedy.

“Pitch Perfect 2” begins with the college a cappella group the Barden Bellas performing for President Barack Obama on his birthday. During the performance, Fat Amy has a wardrobe malfunction, resulting in a suspension from collegiate competitions. To reclaim their good name, they have to defeat the German group Das Sound Machine to win the international a cappella championship.

This is the main storyline, but there are plenty of subplots. Indeed, this film is almost cluttered with them. Some of them work well, such as Beca’s career ambitions and Fat Amy’s romance with Bumper.

Some are less successful, such as Benji’s romance with new character Emily. Hailee Steinfeld plays Emily, and while she gives a good performance, her awkwardness feels forced. Chrissie Fit’s part also feels more like a collection of stereotypes rather than a funny character.

This film is still very funny. Hana Mae Lee is reliably quirky and Rebel Wilson continues to be a hilarious actor. John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks, the latter of whom directed the movie, are great as the a capella competition commentators.

The supporting performances by actors new to the franchise are strong. Keegan-Michael Key makes the most of his role as a music executive. Katey Sagal also gets to show off her vocal skills as well as her comedy chops as Emily’s mother.

Skylar Astin does not have as much screen time as he did in “Pitch Perfect,” but he still gives a fun performance and his a capella group, the Treblemakers, put on a good show.

The musical numbers are very entertaining. The main antagonists’ group, Das Sound Machine, is funny and provides some high-energy covers of popular songs. The Barden Bellas are every bit as good as they were in the last movie, if not better.

The Green Bay Packers’ performance of “Bootylicious” is hilarious and well sung. Clay Matthews gives a wonderfully goofy performance. The only thing that could have made their performance better was if Aaron Rodgers had made an appearance.

“Pitch Perfect 2” is suffused with a spirit of joy and fun. Even the serious moments only serve to throw the humor and musical numbers into sharper relief. Watching this movie is a good use of 115 minutes.

Jesse Pasternack