IU softball loses 17-2

The Hoosiers fell in game two of their weekend series against Ohio State in just five innings by a final score of 17-2.

Senior Lora Olson picked up her second straight loss this series, pitching 3.1 innings, giving up seven runs, six earned, on nine hits and two walks.

Ohio State pitcher Lena Springer shut down the Hoosiers, pitching a four-inning complete game, giving up just two runs on three hits.

The Buckeyes struck first in this game off an RBI single in the first inning to give Ohio state an early 1-0 lead. However, IU would quickly respond in the second inning off a two-run RBI triple from freshman Rebecca Blitz, giving the Hoosiers their only runs of the game.

Ohio State would add four runs in the bottom half of the second inning on an RBI double and a three-run homerun to center field to regain the lead 5-2, a lead they would never surrender the rest of the game.

The Buckeyes would explode in the third inning for 10 runs. A home run made it 6-2, which was later followed by back-to-back bases-loaded walk to make it 8-2.

After a two-run RBI double, a pair of home runs, a three-run home run and a two-run home run, put the game out of reach in just the third inning as the Buckeyes took a commanding 15-2 lead.

With the run-rule already in affect in the start of the fourth inning, IU needed something to bring a spark to its team and get them back I the game. However, the only other run that would be scored in the game would be on a two-run RBI homerun from the Buckeyes in the bottom half of the fourth.

The Hoosiers went in to the top of the fifth frame having to score a lot of runs in order to keep the game alive, but the Hoosiers would fail to even put a runner on second base after a lead-off walk from Blitz.

The Hoosiers came into play this weekend tied with Purdue for the tenth spot in the Big Ten standings, looking to move up before the Big Ten Tournament begins next week.

However, with two straight losses and just one game left in the season, the Hoosiers will be looking to win in order to break their tie with Purdue and own the tenth spot in the standings.

The Hoosiers will play their last regular season game on Sunday at 4 p.m. against the Ohio State Buckeyes at Buckeye Field.