weekend

Avengers: Age of Ultron is a strong entry in the Marvel saga

Strong special effects and additional characters adds unforgettable flare to this summer blockbuster.

Marvel's Avengers: Age Of Ultron..L to R: Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner)..Ph: Film Frame..©Marvel 2015

“Avengers: Age

of Ultron

Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson

A-

“Avengers: Age of Ultron” has been the highest grossing movie in America since it came out a week ago. While it is not as focused as “The Avengers”, “Age of Ultron” is still very entertaining and boasts many virtues.

One of those virtues is the opening sequence in which the Avengers face off against HYDRA agents and their superhuman minions, the Maximoff twins.

This sequence plants the seeds for the creation of the film’s main villain, Ultron. Haunted by a vision from the superpowered Wanda Maximoff, Tony Stark seeks to create an artificially intelligent being that will protect the world and keep his teammates safe.

Things go terribly wrong when Ultron comes to life. James Spader’s performance as Ultron sets a new standard for Marvel villains. He’s funny, a tad over the top and menacing in equal measure using just his voice to create a riveting effect.

All of the returning actors give good performances. Jeremy Renner is a much better Hawkeye than he was in “The Avengers.” Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen are both welcome additions to the cast as the Maximoff twins. They make their characters fun and interesting with the limited screen time they have.

Some of the action sequences go on for too long. The final battle against Ultron feels especially trying. The special effects are excellent, but the film works best when its characters and their interactions are driving what is happening.

“Avengers: Age of Ultron” is a film almost bursting at the seams with special effects-laden battles and does not do all of its characters justice. But it is still a very good movie and a high standard for the blockbusters of 2015 to follow.