sports little 500

Craig repeats as Miss-N-Outs champs

Beta Theta Pi’s Chris Craig was a bit displeased with himself after coming up just short in ITTs to the Cutters’ Nicholas Thiery.

But he made up for it Saturday, edging out Phi Delta Theta’s Rob Lee and Thiery to win the men’s Miss N Out crown for a second consecutive year.

“I was very happy with our team performance in ITTs, but, you know, I really wanted to win it this year,” Craig said. “Getting the Miss N Outs win was really good for me on my senior year.”

Craig said he expects to see the group he beat out in the championship race again on race day.

He applauded Thiery and Lee’s performances, adding that he feels this year’s field is even stronger than last year’s.

“Thiery looks incredibly strong,” Craig said. “It took everything I had to get around him. I’m really impressed with the strength of the field this year.”

Craig’s win capped a dominant performance from Beta, which starts 18th in the Little 500.

Joe Laughlin joined Craig in the finals, ultimately finishing fifth.

Kyle Knight almost joined them but was unable to advance out of the semifinals.

“The depth of this team is incredible,” Knight said. “It’s great to have.”

Beta will look to ride its momentum from a Miss N Out victory into Sunday’s Team Pursuit, where the current leaders in the Spring Series standings aim to capture the Series crown and the white jersey that goes with it.

Craig seemed confident going into Team Pursuit but was quick to add that, ultimately, race day is the one that matters most.

“Everything is going to plan,” Craig said. “We’re feeling really good about team pursuit tomorrow.”

Sam Beishuizen