IU looks to improve Big Ten standing against Michigan

IUBASEvsUL

The Hoosiers have gotten off to a good start this season. With a record of 17-8, including four wins against NCAA Super Regional teams from last season, IU has garnered an RPI ranking of 28 and has been in and out of Baseball America’s top-25 all season.

But this season has been far from perfect for IU. While its 16-4 nonconference record is impressive, IU is just 1-4 in the Big Ten this season. It is the slowest start to a conference season for IU since 2007, when it also started 1-4.

IU looks to improve upon its 12th-place Big Ten standing this weekend when it plays a three-game series against Michigan (16-12, 2-4), who is tied for ninth in the Big Ten.

IU may have to do so without sophomore infielder Austin Cangelosi, who exited in the third inning of IU’s 11-7 win Tuesday at Kentucky with a sprained ankle. Cangelosi leads the Hoosiers with a .545 slugging percentage and is tied for the team lead with 10 extra base hits and three home runs.

IU will start junior Caleb Baragar, sophomore Jake Kelzer and junior Scott Effross in that order against the Wolverines.

Baragar has the lowest ERA of all IU starting pitchers with 0.79 but has yet to acquire a win in his four starts this season. Kelzer is 1-1 this season with a 2.89 ERA but has not won a game since pitching seven scoreless innings March 8 in IU’s 16-1 win against Ball State.

In Effross’ last start he only lasted 0.1 innings in IU’s 10-6 loss against Iowa. Effross, IU’s Friday night starter at the beginning of the season, has a 4.12 ERA this season, accruing a 2-3 record in seven starts.