How to make pizzelles at home

With the Easter holiday over, I chose to resort to a traditional Italian dish for this week’s food column.

Pizzelle are traditional Italian waffle-like cookies. They tend to be crisp and lightly sweet, the perfect compliment with espresso to follow a rich dinner.

Traditionally, pizzelle received their distinct flavor from a strong anise seed flavoring.

Today, vanilla extract is often and easily used as a substitute.

There are many different variations of pizzelle, such as substituting anise seed for vanilla, almond or citrus extract, but whatever the flavor, all pair well with espresso or coffee.

The recipe I am sharing came with a new pizzelle baker from CucinaPro, but it closely resembles my family recipe.

The only substitute was butter for Crisco. I enjoyed the lightly sweet and lighter texture the butter presented in this recipe.

Here’s what you’ll need:

3 large eggs

¾ cup sugar

2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 3 tablespoons cocoa powder

½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

1 ¾ cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

Here’s what you’ll do:

1.  Melt the margarine and let it cool.

2.  Beat the eggs and sugar for 2 or 3 minutes. The consistency should be fluid and a light yellow color. 

3.  Once the butter is cooled, add the butter to the egg and sugar mixture. If you would like vanilla flavored pizzelle, add the vanilla extract. If you would like chocolate flavored pizzelle, add the cocoa powder. Mix until well blended.

4.  Add in the baking powder and stir.

5.  Add in the flour, little by little, to slowly mix in. The batter will turn to a thick, sticky consistency.  It will resemble waffle batter.

6.  To bake the pizzelle, you will need a pizzelle maker. This can be substituted for your waffle iron, but the look will not be that of a traditional pizzelle. However, it will still taste wonderful.

7.  If using a pizzelle maker, I would advise to follow the directions it set. If using a waffle iron, heat it up as normal, and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.

8.  For either device, dollop about 1 tablespoon of the batter in the center of your waffle iron square or on each pizzelle pattern. Allow it to bake for 30 to 45 seconds or until it is a very light, golden brown.

9.  When you remove the pizzelle from your maker, you can roll it into a cone shape while it is warm or lay it flat. Either way, let it cool.

10.  When serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.