weekend

Go, go gadget on Netflix

‘Inspector Gadget’

Grade: C

Inspector Gadget, the beloved character of our childhoods, returns CGI-style in the new Netflix original series “Inspector Gadget.”

Netflix has moved its original programming streaming service into the realm of kid-friendly shows after changing the game for original programming with “Orange is the New Black” and “House of Cards.”

In the pilot episode Dr. Claw is back, and it is up to Inspector Gadget, Penny and Brain to find and stop him from getting his claw before it’s too late.

The CGI creation of the program, paired with vibrant coloring and creative replicas of the original cartoons, is gorgeous. This format of “Inspector Gadget” is sure to create a love for the character in a new generation of boys and girls, but I’m certain that is necessarily going to be a good thing.

Though many children are watching cartoons for pure enjoyment and not delving into subliminal messages, I am aware of hidden meanings, and parents should be too.

The first scene involving Penny should allow girls to identify with a strong, female character who kicks some serious ass in the action world. But that never seems to happen.

We meet Penny as she’s being bitten by the love bug while she is introduced to a new agent. She is more concerned with the beauty of the man than his job qualifications.

What kind of message does this send to young girls? Certainly not a good one.

Penny is so in love she cannot see through the male agent’s flaws.

Then, when we find out the male agent is Dr. Claw’s nephew, she is broken-hearted because her love has betrayed her.

For once, I would like a female cartoon character who isn’t concerned with men and love. But Penny is clearly not going to be that girl, as throughout the episode she says they will ignite vengeance on the man who betrayed her love.

She is more concerned about the boy than the mission.

Go, go gadget, you have failed, but hopefully you can redeem yourself in the next 15 episodes available for streaming on Netflix.

I sincerely hope you do redeem yourself. “Inspector Gadget” can easily be a show that empowers women because Penny usually solves more problems than the men can. She could be a role model for the future.

Call me optimistic, but for the trailblazer that Netflix has been in entertainment, I would like to see it take that trailblazing to its children’s programming and offer shows that defy stereotypes and empower girls.

Let Penny save the day and be the strong, independent character women and girls need.

Netflix, you have been challenged.