COLUMN: Marked by MAC

Some women prefer to wear makeup every day, others may choose to go au naturel and some fall slightly in between. Some women will spend $35 on MAC foundation, while others opt for cheaper drug store brands.

All of these choices are entirely acceptable, and they are entirely your own. But no matter what you choose, that decision carries a weighted meaning behind it, whether you intend it to or not. If you wear bold, heavy makeup, you are making a statement about yourself. If you wear absolutely no makeup, you are still making a statement.

Know that you are judged for it.

In her essay “There is No Unmarked Woman,” professor of linguistics at Georgetown University Deborah Tannen examines the “marked” woman compared to the “unmarked” man. Every physical aspect of a woman’s appearance, her hairstyle, makeup, nail polish and shoes, mark her.

Who knew the color of your lipstick reveals so much about your personality? Are you an Angel Red or a ?Rose Taffy?

Even the color of your nail polish marks you. If you have chipped nail polish, that means you’re lazy. If you don’t paint your nails, you think you’re too good for everyone else. Or maybe you just don’t have the time.

Men do not seem to have this problem. Most men do not wear makeup, nail polish or spend more than 10 seconds fixing their hair each morning.

If a woman wears tight clothes and high heels to the bars, it sends a message that she’s trying too hard or attention seeking. If she’s wearing a wrinkled T-shirt, she is telling the world that she doesn’t care what anyone thinks ?of her.

The first time I went out to the bars without wearing any makeup, you would have thought I was committing an act of treason. And then I realized: I didn’t care, and it didn’t matter. I was comfortable in my own skin. And last time I checked, the likelihood of meeting my soul mate at Kilroy’s Sports Bar is one in 10 billion (mostly because I’d never go there willingly).

Though Tannen argues it’s impossible for a woman to be “unmarked,” it’s important for women to remember the decisions they make about their appearance should never be dictated by anyone but ?themselves.

I’ve read women’s magazine articles claiming that having a makeup-free day once a week is one of the best things a woman can do for her self-esteem and confidence. By wearing no makeup, people focus on the “real you” and in turn, you receive less compliments about your appearance. People will also probably tell you, “You look a little tired” that day. I’ve heard arguments for “why I never wear makeup” and all that jazz.

While that’s all fun and dandy, I say women should just do what feels most comfortable for them — and only them. But whether you wear makeup every day or you never touch the stuff, you are no better than anyone else because of it. It is a personal decision and nothing more.

Sure, getting all dolled up to go out comes with a ?confidence that’s hard to beat.

If I wear my favorite Vintage Wine lipstick out on a Friday night, it’s because I’m feeling bold and like I can conquer the world. But going out with no makeup can be just as empowering, too.

Whatever you choose to do, that’s your business — not anyone else’s.