Zeisloft finding his range heading into the postseason

Junior Nick Zeisloft celebrates a made three-point shot during IU's game against Michigan State on Saturday at Assembly Hall.

The most efficient offensive player in the nation can’t be found on the All-Big Ten team announced Monday.

He doesn’t play for the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats or orchestrate the nation’s most efficient offense at Wisconsin.

He doesn’t even start.

Data on kenpom.com now lists IU junior Nick Zeisloft as the most efficient offensive player in the country. The reserve guard has been the Hoosiers’ hottest shooter during the last three weeks, reaching double-digit scoring in each of his last four games.

The Illinois State transfer led the Big Ten shooting 51.4 percent from beyond the arc. But as he’s done all season, Zeisloft refused to take full ownership of his accomplishments.

“My teammates are doing a great job of finding me when I’m open,” Zeisloft said Saturday. “Whenever we move the ball and move bodies and are cutting hard, any of us can go off of that.”

Zeisloft’s humility does carry a bit of merit.

Although IU Coach Tom Crean is adamant Zeisloft isn’t a 3-point specialist, he’s made a living off catch-and-shoot treys. Those types of shots require the right pass from a teammate to be successful.

Just more than 83 percent of Zeisloft’s 220 points this season have come via the 3-pointer. Of his 149 field goal attempts, only 17 have come from inside ?the arc.

Zeisloft doesn’t quite have the same ability as quicker guards such as junior Yogi Ferrell to consistently beat defenders off the dribble to create space for himself. That, along with rebounding, remains a work in progress, Crean said.

“We’re working towards that,” Crean said. “I think he knows that I’m hard on him with that, and our coaches are hard on him for a reason. He’s not just here to be a specialist, although he’s pretty good at that. We want him to be able to do numerous things for us, but when he gets that foot down and lines up and is moving, you have to guard him.”

IU’s last four opponents — including Northwestern, who the Hoosiers play in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday — found this out firsthand.

Zeisloft is averaging 14.3 points in 23.5 minutes per game during that stretch. While the Hoosier offense has cooled considerably in its current three-game losing streak, Zeisloft has continued to remain hot from beyond the arc, where he’s hit 17 of his last 27 shots.

His recent tear from long distance is a welcome shot in the arm for a young IU team. But it’s not just his play on the court that’s valuable now that the postseason is beginning. It’s his experience.

That’s partially why Crean brought Zeisloft to Bloomington in the first place, he said.

With IU limping into the Big Ten Tournament having lost eight of 12 games to close the regular season, Zeisloft said leadership is as important now as it’s ever been.

“It’s crucial,” he said. “The older you are, the more experience you have, and the more you have to lead by example. And on the court, it’s definitely a crucial thing.”

Still not through his first full season as a Hoosier, it’s become increasingly obvious Zeisloft has taken to his role of being that leader off the bench.

He rarely meets a 3-pointer he doesn’t like but admits he’s still got room to grow. He’ll have another full season to become more well-rounded, but for now, being the nation’s most efficient scorer isn’t too bad for a player who relies on the 3-ball for most of his ?offense.

“Nick’s got courage,” Crean said. “You want a team of guys that have courage because if they’ve got some courage, they’re going to have some humility, and they’re going to strive to ?get better.

“The shooting excites you, but the other things ?excite me, too.”