Wynn impresses at IU Pro Day

Wide reciever Shane Wynn (right) finished the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.29 seconds during IU football Pro Day on Monday.

Shane Wynn’s 40-yard dash time had people talking.

At Monday’s IU football Pro Day, Wynn finished the sprint in 4.29 seconds. Only one player ran it faster at this year’s NFL Combine, and only by .01 seconds. But when asked if he was happy, Wynn didn’t seem satisfied.

“I ran a lower time the night before,” he said. “I feel like I did pretty good, had a slow start on the first 40, got that together, and the second 40 I felt like everything ?went well.”

Wynn was one of nine Hoosiers who participated. Tim Bennett, David Cooper, Matt Dooley, Flo Hardin, Collin Rahrig, Bobby Richardson, D’Angelo Roberts and Nick Stoner worked out in front of scouts from 22 ?NFL teams.

Since graduating in December, Cooper spent his time back home in Atlanta preparing for Monday’s workout. Rather than going out and hanging out with friends, Cooper was at his training facility twice a day during the week, once on weekends.

“I just concentrated on one thing,” he said. “One thing only.”

Not knowing beforehand what drills he’d run at Pro Day, Cooper talked to friends and teammates who had gone through a similar process. He said it was most difficult at the beginning.

“When I first went home, it was tough,” Cooper said. “I was thinking too much. I got, like, three months to prepare. I was like, ‘Man, I got so much stuff to do.’”

But the toughest adjustment was his new diet.

”I hate seafood, but I had to learn how to eat it,” Cooper said, laughing. “It was nasty.”

Top results included Bennett’s 10-foot-10 broad jump, Roberts’ 37-inch vertical and Wynn’s 4.29 40-meter dash. Richardson, who led the Hoosiers in sacks last season, recorded 24 bench press reps at 225 pounds.

He said everyone posted better times than they had been in practice but that didn’t concern him.

”I really didn’t want to know (the times),” Richardson said. “I was just trying to come out here and have fun. One of my last times going out there, running with ?my bros.”

IU running back Tevin Coleman, who chose to declare for the NFL draft after rushing for a school-record 2,036 yards as a junior, will have a separate workout April 15. Coleman missed the combine recovering from post-season surgery after he played more than half of the 2014 season on a broken toe.

Other players have signed with agents as they look toward a possible professional career. Wynn mentioned the Oakland Raiders have shown interest in him. Roberts said he would hear back from his agent by the end of the week.

“Today was one of the most important days for somebody like me,” Roberts said. “I’m happy with what ?I did.”