weekend

'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' is brimming with comedy and optimism

‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”

A

Every episode title of “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” ends in an exclamation point. That’s appropriate because the first episode is much like an exclamation point. Both have manic energy and a slight ridiculousness that proves endearing to those who know it well.

Ellie Kemper, who was also in “Bridesmaids” and “The Office,” plays the title character. Schmidt was kidnapped by a doomsday cult when she was in eighth grade and lived underground with several other women for 15 years. After being rescued, she moves to New York City to start her life anew.

With a lot of optimism and some funny friends, Schmidt seeks to make the most of her second chance at life.

One of the show’s biggest assets is Kemper. Whether she’s realizing she can eat candy for dinner or setting a carriage horse free, her giant grin and sunny outlook make the viewer love her. Just watching her dance is reason enough to watch the whole episode.

She also manages to make the character into more than an upbeat collection of quirks. Later scenes show her as doubtful of her choices and then determined to make something of her life.

The brilliant creators of this show, Tina Fey and Robert Carlock, surround Kemper with great supporting characters.

Carol Kane plays Schmidt’s landlady who warns her of the Banana Boys, a gang that wears bright yellow because there were no good colors left. Tituss Burgess plays her roommate, who, before learning of her past, accepts that she is quirky simply because she is from Indiana.

The show has an absurd sense of humor reminiscent of later seasons of Fey and Carlock’s previous show “30 Rock.” At one point, Burgess tells Kemper’s character, “I pronounce you ridiculous!” You could say the same about this show that uses aforementioned carriage horse walking across a shot as a callback.

At the same time, it packs a good message. When the reverend who kidnapped Schmidt told her in a flashback that he will break her, Schmidt grinned a determined smile and said, “No you won’t.”

This sitcom is about people who will not give in, and its message that you should keep trying in the face of great obstacles is a noble one.

The fact that this optimistic yet hard-hearted worldview is presented in 24 minutes between hilarious comedy is a minor miracle.