Baked Greek chicken an affordable dinner option

If I had to describe my column, I would have to say my goal is to offer low-cost recipes that are fairly simple but taste amazing.

I grew up in a household where we were on a budget, yet meals were full of bold flavors. Due to this, I learned how to avoid living off ramen noodles.

If you’re on a budget, as many students are, I am here to tell you that you do not have to settle for noodles and butter. There are other options hat do not require a lot of cooking knowledge and will not break your wallet.

In an effort to bring low-cost meals with great flavor, I decided to rediscover an old recipe this week.

My family’s Greek chicken is one of my favorite versions of lemon pepper chicken. This recipe is so savory and easy to make.

The taste of the chicken is bold and zesty, and the combination of ingredients is sure to satisfy your palate.

This recipe is low-cost and simple to put together, and your dinner guests won’t even know it.

I served the chicken with angel hair pasta in a light butter and lemon sauce with oregano and baked asparagus. You’ll want to pair the chicken with lighter-flavored pasta and vegetables as to not overpower the seasoning of the chicken.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 pound of uncooked chicken (I used chicken breasts.)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • ¼ olive oil

Here’s what you’ll do:

1.  I started by cutting my chicken breasts into smaller strips. This is completely optional but makes portions more manageable. 

2.  Combine the garlic powder, lemon pepper seasoning, oregano, and salt into a small dish and mix. Rub the chicken with the seasoning mix.

3.  Place the chicken in a bag. Pour in the olive oil and lemon juice.

4.  Let the chicken sit in the marinade for two hours.

5.  Once the two hours is over, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

6.  Bake the chicken for 30 minutes or until it is completely cooked. The chicken should be white in the center when it is finished.