IU football spring position previews: Running back

spHowardCommit

The most dominant Hoosier from 2014 won’t be at spring practice. He’s prepping for the 2015 NFL draft.

Tevin Coleman’s decision to enter the NFL draft after his junior season has been well documented — as has the addition of Jordan Howard, a UAB transfer immediately eligible to play as a junior.

But the reality at Mellencamp Pavilion is that IU needs to not only replace Coleman’s production, but also a combined 2,529 yards between him and graduating senior D’Angelo Roberts.

Howard’s resume pegs him as a clear option to replace Coleman as the starter, but IU Coach Kevin Wilson made it clear he needs to earn that job.

Based on tweets from IU running backs Coach Deland McCullough, Howard has taken that to heart. McCullough posted video of Howard supposedly running a 4.39-second 40-yard dash.

“Got a lot more where that’s from,” McCullough said in the tweet.

A 6-foot-1, 228-pound rusher who prides himself in laying out hits on defenders, Howard was a workhorse for the Blazers last year, averaging 25.5 carries per game. That’s three more per game than Coleman.

Myles Graham’s transfer means the only returning rusher who got carries last season was sophomore Devine Redding.

Redding had 29 touches for 118 yards in 10 appearances. Ten of those rushes and 49 of those yards came in one game against Missouri.

He’ll have a chance to solidify himself in the rotation in spring practice, but only if he manages to fend off freshman Tommy Mister, who redshirted last season after suffering a knee injury in preseason camp.

Mister will have a leg up on the other freshmen — including 3-star incoming freshmen Isaac James and Devonte Williams — by participating in spring camp. Ricky Brookins and Alex Rodriguez will also begin 2015 as redshirt freshmen.

Wilson and Howard have both downplayed the idea of replacing Coleman, which is understandable. Replacing a consensus All-American isn’t something IU is used to doing.

But the addition of Howard will certainly help. There’s an argument to be made that the running back position is one of the deepest at Wilson’s disposal, and spring practice should help create some order in the depth chart.