sports baseball

IU completes sweep of Cal State Fullerton with offensive explosion

Freshman third baseman Isaiah Pasteur was walking to the plate with two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning. There were runners at the corners and IU was tied 1-1 with No. 23 Cal State Fullerton.

But then he was stopped. IU Coach Chris Lemonis wanted to impart some wisdom upon the freshman.

“We had a lot of guys pulling off it so I just told him to slow down, stay on the ball and give yourself a chance to hit,” Lemonis said.

Pasteur waited on the ball and drove it to the wall in left center for a two RBI triple. Those were two of 10 runs IU (13-4) scored in its 10-4 win Sunday against Cal State Fullerton (9-9). It was IU's 10th straight win.

The approach Pasteur used at the plate for his triple was one that many other right handed Hoosiers used successfully.

Sophomore first baseman Austin Cangelosi said it was necessary because of the style of Fullerton’s pitcher, John Gavin.

Gavin, a southpaw, throws from a ¾ arm slot meaning he releases the ball halfway between directly over his head and directly to his side.

This creates lateral movement for all his pitches especially his fastball, which sat around 87 miles per hour all game.

This movement comes inside to righties. If they start their swing too early their hands will roll over resulting in a weak grounder to third base.

If a batter waits on the pitch he can drive it up the middle or to right center. This is what Cangelosi did two at bats before Pasteur’s triple. Cangelosi also tripled but sent the ball caroming off the wall in right center field.

It was one of three hits for Cangelosi who also doubled down the left field line and singled. He drove in three runs and scored twice himself.

“It feels really good,” Cangelosi said. “I’ve been working on some things offensively, just trying to stay on the ball.”

Both Cangelosi’s and Pasteur’s triples also came with two outs, something Lemonis said he has been emphasizing all season.

Whenever IU takes batting practice, the last ball a player sees is in a two out situation.

“It’s the key in the postseason, it’s the key to a good offense and it makes up for a lot of mistakes,” Lemonis said.

The win Sunday completed a three game sweep of the ranked powerhouse from California. IU won games by scores of 5-4, 2-0 and 10-4. The variety of victories typifies what IU is trying to do this season.

Lemonis said he wants his team to be a blend of styles. A team that runs, hits for power and contact and can pitch and play defense.

The last thing, defense, was something Fullerton failed to do well all weekend. Overall the Titans made nine errors. IU made three.

Lemonis said defense is what gets teams to Omaha in June. Without it, teams don’t stand a chance.

This is how IU views this sweep of the Titans. A stepping stone to Omaha. Cangelosi said while Fullerton’s pitching was great, they’ll see better at the College World Series.

As for the sweep Cangelosi said that’s what the team expected to do.

“We want to beat everybody, that’s out motto,” Cangelosi said. “We want to sweep everyone.”