Freshman forward Max Hoetzel to transfer, seek more playing time

Freshman Max Hoetzel gets fouled as he drives the lane against his defender during IU's game against Penn State on Tuesday at Assembly Hall.

Max Hoetzel — the latest loss in a week of departures from IU — will transfer, the program announced Friday.

Hoetzel, a 6-foot-8 freshman forward out of Calabasas, Calif., will leave IU to seek a bigger role and more playing time. He played in 31 of IU's 34 games this season, averaging 7.7 minutes and 2.4 points per game.

"I want to find a school where I can have a bigger impact on the court," Hoetzel said in a release. "Hopefully, it will be somewhere my family can see me play more often."

IU Coach Tom Crean, who has said he originally planned to redshirt Hoetzel before an injury to sophomore forward Devin Davis changed the situation, said Hoetzel had potential to grow into a valuable player.

“We were always impressed with Max’s upside and potential but unfortunately in his view it did not turn into the extended minutes he wanted,” Crean said. “He would like to find a clear cut opportunity to play more and we hope he finds that. He is a hard worker who we hope will fulfill his potential and have the chance to play closer to his family.”

Hoetzel is the third Hoosier to leave the program this week. Former Associate Head Coach Steve McClain took the head coach position at Illinois-Chicago on Monday, and sophomore guard Stanford Robinson announced his transfer Wednesday.

He is the ninth IU player to transfer in the last three seasons.

The departure solves IU’s scholarship situation. With no seniors on the roster and two freshmen joining the program next season, IU was overcommitted by two scholarships. Robinson’s and Hoetzel’s transfers freed up spots for those freshmen: Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby.