oped

Bridging the thigh gap

Eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia and binge eating are complex physical and emotional issues.

There are often any number of environmental and psychological factors that allow an eating disorder to ?develop.

Some of those factors include the people and media surrounding an individual or the chemical makeup of an one’s brain and one’s self-esteem.

We cannot place all the blame for the development of eating disorders on the media, but it has to be understood that the representation of bodies in the media definitely do not do much to boost anyone’s confidence in their bodies.

Muscular, macho men and thin, wispy women are paraded incessantly before our eyes, and it does not go ?unnoticed.

Many men and women have said that they see in the media has shaped the way they view their bodies and these images have made them want to lose weight.

There is no single image of what an eating disorder looks like, contrary to what many believe. There are all kinds of people suffering and coping with eating disorders.

Male, female, trans, straight, queer, young, old, racial majority, racial minority, religious majority, religious ?minority, wealthy and poor.

There are individuals from all walks of life that struggle with eating ?disorders.

Many people think that it’s only young white women who develop an eating disorder.

This line of thinking is harmful for everyone because when you exclude any group of people as being “eligible” for developing an eating disorder, they are also excluded from your mind as being in need of treatment or help.

There are entire groups of individuals that fall into varying categories that have become marginalized by their eating disorders because we as a population are failing to recognize there is no single type of person that suffers from an eating disorder.

The National Eating Disorders Association has designated the last week of February as National Eating Disorder Awareness week.

This year it was Feb. 22-28. The NEDA focused on recognizing signs early for intervention and the different experiences of people who have ?suffered from eating disorders.

In support of NEDA week, campus organizations, such as Rec Sports and the Body Project, got together to put on Celebrate EveryBODY Week, a celebration of bodies of all shapes, sizes and colors.

Students across IU’s campus were encouraged to join the conversation about body image and eating disorders and think of things they are thankful for that their bodies allow them to do.

Delta Phi Epsilon hosted a philanthropic fashion show to raise money and awareness for NEDA week.

The women wore what they were comfortable in, and instead of focusing on their clothing, they were presented as people as they walked down the ?runway.

The whole week was dedicated to helping students find the resources they need to talk about eating disorders and body image on our campus in order to help each other find a support network and safe space.

The Editorial Board believes with this kind of positive attention given to eating disorders, people can stop being marginalized by their illnesses and can reach out for help and seek support from friends, family, health ?professionals and the community.