Two professors awarded Rudy professorship

Extraordinary achievements, commitment to IU and one award link two IU professors in different fields.

The Rudy Professorship was established by the estate of James Rudy, an IU alumnus, after his death in 1956. Along with this award, Rudy also left much of his estate to the University.

Marietta Simpson and Sara Skrabalak were recently announced as recipients of the Rudy Professorship Award. This award was designed to reward outstanding University faculty, regardless of their field.

Simpson is a professor at the Jacobs School of Music and Skrabalak teaches in the chemistry department. To achieve the award they both have shown their commitment to IU and skill in their chosen fields.

MaryAnn Hart, chair of the voice department at the music school, said Simpson plays an important role in the school’s faculty.

“She’s a very valuable part of our faculty,” Hart said.

Hart spoke about Simpson’s experience as a recitalist and her work under famous chorale conductor Robert Shaw. Working ?under such skilled conductors helped develop Simpson’s ability, Hart said.

“She has an incredible attention to detail,” Hart said.

Simpson is preparing to go to Kenya and South Africa to gather musical material for a new arrangement titled “Mosaic Melodies of the Diaspora.” She said she was honored to learn she was awarded the Rudy ?Professorship.

“(This is) such an incredible honor,” she said.

Simpson is also active in the Bloomington community and her local church. She said though she misses her family in her hometown of Philadelphia, the Bloomington community is very special to her, as well.

“I’m really blessed,” Simpson said.

Skrabalak is a leader in the field of inorganic materials chemistry, a chemical field which uses metals to create new materials.

David Giedroc, the department chair for chemistry, emphasized her work in helping to lead the field.

“She is an amazing and talented chemist,” Giedroc said.

Skrabalak is willing to put the needs of the chemistry department into consideration, Giedroc said. He described her as a “team player” and said the faculty was proud to have her with them.

She has also won several national-level awards for her work and teaching.

“She’s a true treasure,” Giedroc said.

The infrastructure of the research institute at IU is what drew her here originally, Skrabalak said.

“I absolutely love teaching at IU,” Skrabalak said.

Skrabalak said she was surprised to receive the Rudy Award. It was a definite honor to be recognized by the local community for her work, she said. She considers the Rudy Professorship to be very special for that reason.

“It was a tremendous ?honor,” Skrabalak said.

Skrabalak said in her work, students can become frustrated with results in chemistry. She often works to encourage them to continue because she can see that their idea could work, she said.

“I’m an incredibly optimistic person,” Skrabalak said.

Skrabalak said she is currently focused on her professional research and her students.

Her work in inorganic materials chemistry, especially nanoscale materials, is leading the field, Giedroc said.

Simpson summed up her love of IU and appreciation for the Rudy Award when she sang a line from the Broadway show “Crazy For You.”

“Who can ask for anything more?”