Spring Break Do's and Don'ts

If you’re staying home:

DO

Get out of the house

Even if it’s cold outside, find something fun to do. Just because you aren’t on a fancy spring break trip doesn’t mean you can’t find something better than Netflix.

Go on a road trip

If you call Indiana your home, grab a group of friends and go to Chicago. Visit Navy Pier, shop, or watch a touring Broadway show. If you’re from out of the state, travel to the closest urban destination.

Try something risky

You’re only young once. Do something you’ve always wanted to do, like skydiving, or get that tattoo or piercing you’ve been looking at on Pinterest.

DON'T

Stay inside and watch Netflix every night

Don’t avoid social contact to hang out in your bed all night. Meet up with friends, even if it’s just to grab some coffee or pizza.

Mindlessly eat

Okay, so you haven’t been dieting for a trip. Don’t let that justify sitting on your couch doing nothing but eating. You’ll regret it at the end of your break.

Mess with your sleep schedule

One night of break, you stay up until four in the morning watching an entire season of Parks and Recreation. If you don’t balance it out, you’ll come back to Bloomington exhausted and unable to wake up for your 8 a.m.’s.

If you’re going on vacation:

DO

Bring sunscreen

This may be the most cliché piece of advice, but it’s real. You’re not invincible and you’ve been out of the sun for six months. Unless you want to spend your whole week being a lobster in your hotel room, pack a little SPF or buy a few tanning sessions.

Meet new people

You’re away from everything. You’re supposed to meet new people and spend time with people you’d never be able to on campus.

Be mindful of strangers

That being said, be careful with people you don’t know. You hear spring break horror stories all the time, so don’t be that guy. Never let strangers into your hotel rooms or trust them with your important belongings.

Know your limit

Also cliché. College spring break is supposed to be a blast, but know when to call it quits. Safety first, guys.

Set a budget

Watch how much you’re spending. Don’t spend it all and not be able to get home.

DON'T

Go to cliché cities

I know, it’s tempting to go to PCB or Cancun. Don’t. There are much less stressful places to go and get the same amount of rays. Try Tulum, Mexico or Palm Beach, Florida. Less empty beer bottles and screaming college kids, same amount of fun.

Do something you’d be afraid to do on campus

If you wouldn’t do it in Bloomington, don’t do it there. If anything, recklessness can only have worse consequences. Your reputation still counts in Florida.

Spend all your money on crappy souvenirs

Will you really use all ten of those tacky shot glasses with flip-flops on them? What about those neon tank tops? Do you really think you’ll wear them after May?

Lose your phone

Keep important belongings safe in hotel rooms or keep it on you at all times. It just makes sense.

Leave the group or let a friend leave

This is when problems happen. You came with a group, stay that way. If you have to leave, stay in contact and make sure someone always knows where you are.