Sorority Fashion Show Spreads Body Image Awareness

Junior Joey Andrews walks the stage Tuesday at Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union. Sophomore Mariah Smith walks on the stage Tuesday at Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union. Delta Phi Epsilon hosted "Comfortable in your Jeans Fashion Show"  to promote positve body image of women and fundraise for the the Natonal Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. 25 models from different organizations participated in the show. The organizations also held a raffle event, dance and music performances, and shirt selling for fundraising.

Mary Christopoulos walked on stage and, after a quick introduction, told the audience what she said she felt needed to be heard.

“You are all beautiful, each and every one of you,” she said.

The audience applauded, and the emcees introduced the night’s first model.

“This is Sam, and she’s a world traveler,” one of them said.

Twenty-four other models representing 14 IU sororities strolled down the runway one by one wearing tops from Bloomington’s own Bluetique Cheap Chic fashion store.

Hundreds of girls flaunting their purple shirts saying “Just Wear It” sat among the crowd Tuesday evening in Alumni Hall to support the first annual “Comfortable in your Jeans” fashion show.

Delta Phi Epsilon hosted the fashion show in order to raise money and awareness for The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and ?Associated Disorders.

Other performances featured music, dance and more from InMotion Dance Co., Another Round, Phi Kappa Sigma and others, as well as a description of The Body Project, an IU initiative to spread positive body images.

Christopoulos, the event’s organizer, said many of the negative body image views women have are partly because of how women are portrayed in the media.

“We dwell so much on how society thinks of us,” she said. “You are more than just a number on the scale. We want people to get up in the morning, look in the mirror and say, ‘I look good today.’”

DPhiE Vice President of Programming Leslie Palans said their event puts a spin on typical fashion shows because the models get to wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

“Being able to wear what they want gives them the confidence to rock out on the ?runway,” she said.

Palans also said the event is important for a college campus because of the constant pressure women 18-25 have to keep up appearances.

“Eating disorders affect a lot of people, especially younger people in college,” she said. “We want to spread the message that you are beautiful the way you are and should never be ashamed of the way you look.”

Participant Ashley Fields said she decided to model in the show because she’s always been passionate about raising awareness for different mental illnesses.

“It’s a great opportunity to be apart of spreading a positive self-image,” she said.

Model Madeline Fletchall said the fashion show was a great way to get involved with helping a common cause among younger women.

“Girls from so many different backgrounds and sororities have come together to represent feeling comfortable in your own skin,” she said.

Palans said although the fashion show’s proceeds are going toward a great cause, the money raised isn’t as significant as the awareness that can be gained and passed on.