Sex study institutions explored

Kinsey Confidential is a service of the Kinsey Institute. For more good sex information, podcasts or to submit a question, visit us online at kinseyconfidential.org.

I am interested in studying sex. I am currently working on an MBA but want a degree in sexuality, too. Where can I get a degree like that? Thank you.

How nice that you’re interested in studying sexuality. Many people with business degrees find themselves working in sexuality-related companies, developing or marketing or advertising products such as condoms, lubricants, vibrators, vaginal moisturizers, erectile medications, tampons, menstrual cups, ovulation tests, etc.

Sex is a topic of study — not a discipline. This means you can study sexuality issues in a number of different fields.

Programs with a particular focus on sexuality include some in public health, psychology, sociology, anthropology, media studies, gender studies and women’s studies, just to name a few.

Within the study of sexuality, some people focus on sex research while others focus on sex therapy, education or medicine.

You may find it interesting to read the book “How I Got Into Sex” for stories from people in diverse aspects of sexuality related professions or the newer book “How I Got Into Sex ... Ed” for stories of sexuality educators and the paths that they took.

In addition, attending a professional conference related to sex research, education, or therapy may be of interest to you. You can learn more through the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists; the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality; the Society for Sex Therapy and Research; and the International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health. Find out more about these organizations on our Kinsey Institute website, which is kinseyinstitute.org.

Debby Herbenick, Ph.D., MPH is an Associate Professor at Indiana University and a Research Fellow and sexual health educator at The Kinsey Institute. She’s the author of six books about sex; her newest is “The Coregasm Workout.” Follow Kinsey Confidential on Twitter @KinseyCon & visit us online at ?www.KinseyConfidential.org.