Brooklyn artist to perform at the Bishop

Brooklyn singer-songwriter Jon Autry and his band, the Naval Avionics, have toured for about two weeks, playing everywhere from Missouri to Florida.

With just a week left on the road, they will be stopping in Knoxville, Tenn., Chicago and three Indiana cities.

The first of Autry’s Indiana shows will be at the Bishop Bar on Tuesday night. Local folk musician Moor Hound will perform as one of the openers.

A new project from Jon Maedor of Saintsenca and Richard Wehrenburg of High Dive, named Kleinerwasserbär, will also play.

All the music Autry released so far has used just his name.

Autry has plans to release music under the name of Naval Avionics, though, so Autry decided to combine the two names for the tour.

Autry said the music he wants to release as the Naval Avionics will still be almost entirely created by him, but he wanted to create music that is less personally ?attached.

“I feel like a lot of my music, so far, a lot of it is like a personal therapy session because it carries a lot of emotional baggage,” he said. “With the Naval Avionics I just kind of wanted to get it out from under my name and my baggage.”

By recording music under a name that isn’t his own, Autry also said he hopes it will be easier for him to collaborate more frequently with other people in the ?future.

While on tour, Autry said he has told people his music is power pop with electronic elements.

“I think on the records there’s a little bit of experimental stuff, too, that’s part of it,” he said. “But ultimately the songs tend to be pretty poppy.”

Little things from various other genres, like ambient music, show up every now and then, as well, Autry said of his music.

Among Autry’s influences were classic musicians such as the Beatles, Brian Wilson and Depeche Mode.

Autry also mentioned lesser-known artists as influences in his music such as Guided by Voices and Jim O’Rourke.

Autry released his most recent album, “Beautifully Broken,” in June 2014.

He released the album with his own record label, Usonian.

The label started when he released his first album, but he said he didn’t consider it a real label until he and his wife, Indianapolis musician Laura K. Balke, began releasing music from other people.

“We just figured it would be nice for us to be able to put out our own stuff and then control it from beginning to end, and then to also be able to help facilitate other people putting out good music that we believe in,” Autry said.

While Autry considers his past albums to mostly be just random collections of songs he wrote, Autry said his most recent album “Beautifully Broken” is his first attempt at creating an entirely cohesive ?album.

Autry said he is still working toward that goal.

“I’m really proud of this one, I feel really good about it,” he said about the album. “I feel like it’s more of where I’m headed as far as the stuff I’m going to be doing ?after this.”