Banners bring awareness to teen dating violence

Awareness of teenage dating violence will be promoted across downtown this month.

Banners created by teenage volunteers at Middle Way House have been hung up on light posts to raise awareness for National Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month.

Middle Way House recruited more than 40 teen volunteers to create the banners as part of its day of service on Martin Luther King Jr. Day last month.

The banners went up the first week of February.

The 12 banners were designed by Merridee LaMantia, a local artist, and put together by teens recruited by Middle Way House’s prevention team, who came up with the messages that are displayed on the banners.

Rhino’s Youth Center, an after school organization that provides programs for teenagers, donated space in its building for the high school students to make the banners.

The banners are displayed on poles owned by the Bloomington Entertainment and Arts District that are reserved to advertise for events throughout the year.

“We put in an application and they let us have the pole usage for the month of February,” Middle Way House representative Rene Llewellyn said.

This is the first year for the project. Llewellyn said she hopes there can be more banners hung up next February.

“Next year, we hope to make another 12 so each pole can double-up,” she said.

The Middle Way House primarily serves women who are victims of violence by providing housing and education.

Each year, an estimated one-in-10 American teenagers is physically harmed by a boyfriend or girlfriend, according to a release from Middle Way House.

Young people who experience dating violence are at increased risk of substance abuse, depression, poor academic performance and future victimization, according to the release.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention defines dating violence as physical, sexual, psychological or emotional violence within a relationship, including stalking.

In a 2013 survey by the federal government, 10 percent of teenagers said they had been physically abused by their partner, and 10 percent said they were sexually abused.

Dating violence occurs in relationships in which teens believe violence is acceptable.

These teens often come from a line of abuse, use illegal substances or have depression, anxiety or other trauma, according to the CDC.