3-star commit eager to join IU's running backs

Devonte Williams likes mismatches and open spaces.

At high school in Potomac, Md., the 247Sports 3-star running back’s coaches would put Williams wherever he needed to be on the field to score.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound tailback rushed for 1,899 yards and 18 touchdowns as a high school senior. Williams also caught 22 passes for five touchdowns.

No matter where he lined up on the field, Williams was out there to make plays.

Now, he’ll look to make those same plays in Bloomington. The former Marshall commit flipped to IU on Monday to become the 23rd member of IU Coach Kevin Wilson’s 2015 recruiting class.

“At high school, we liked to create a lot of mismatches on the field,” Williams said. “I think that’s what Coach Wilson wanted as well. I felt like I fit the offense perfectly.”

Williams’ commitment followed his official visit to campus last weekend. He said he spent most of his time with the whole team and coaching staff talking about how he’d fit into the offense. He said he was excited about the idea of being part of the explosive offense IU has historically had under Wilson.

“It’s an exciting offense,” Williams said. “I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Besides UAB transfer Jordan Howard, Williams is the lone running back in the Hoosiers’ 2015 class. The Hoosiers already have Devine Redding, Tommy Mister and Myles Graham set to be fighting for playing time in the backfield this fall.

Although they will ultimately compete for playing time, it was the deep group of young running backs that really attracted Williams to IU. He liked the versatility of the Hoosier running backs and said their styles of play compliment one another.

“I feel like each running back in the running back room brings a unique talent,” Williams said. “Everybody has their own unique talent, whether it’s power or the ability to catch the ball. We’ll all work with each other.”

IU’s 2015 recruiting class now ranks No. 6 in the Big Ten, according to 247Sports. Wilson has just two scholarships remaining with Wednesday’s National Signing Day rapidly approaching.

Williams said he could sense the excitement among the commits and other players by talking to them. He said the soon-to-be freshmen are eager to arrive on campus and get to work.

“We are really excited,” Williams said. “That’s probably the most discussed thing Coach Wilson and I had. We’re excited to form as a group and as a family and win a lot of games in the future.”

Williams paused.

“Oh, and going to a bowl game.”