sports softball

Young IU softball team ready for new season

For now, you’ll still need a heavy coat, some sort of hat and maybe even some gloves. But spring is just around the corner, which comes with sunshine, doubleheaders and home runs. Softball is almost here.

The IU softball team, which has been practicing indoors at the John Mellencamp Pavilion, is gearing up to begin its regular season with one of the youngest teams in the nation, welcoming eight incoming freshmen.

“The word that can sum it up: excited,” senior Lora Olsen said. “It’s a big group of young girls, but they have surprised us all preseason. We knew they were good coming in, but they have already proved so much, it’s simply amazing,”

The eight incoming players combined to record a .463 batting average and 1.8 ERA in addition to earning 59 individual awards and setting 10 school records in high school.

“This young group is awesome,” senior Brianna Myer said. “The thing that has stuck out to me is their work ethic. They have come in and exceeded everyone’s expectations with how hard they are willing to work. They kind of push the upperclassmen to work a little harder.”

The girls’ work ethic, along with their goofy nature, brings an atmosphere to practice that has IU Coach Michelle Gardner smiling.

“I enjoy coming to practice everyday,” Gardner said. “I believe they have found the big picture and know where they want to go. Setting goals for themselves but having fun and enjoying themselves while getting there.”

For the seniors on this team, it’s their last time around the bases, and they said they want to make it enjoyable.

Olson, a senior, had some advice for the freshmen.

“Enjoy and understand the gravity of being a Big Ten college athlete,” Olson said. “I really didn’t understand it back then, but I realize how much pride goes into wearing that Indiana jersey and how big of a deal it is to me and all the girls who have worn it before.”

It’s almost time to put those jerseys on. With the season quickly approaching, the message in the locker room has been to focus.

“I honestly believe the potential is there to do great things,” Gardner said. “But it starts with focus, not making one thing bigger than another. Just being prepared for whoever is on the other side of the field.”

The IU softball team posted an overall record of 17-39-1 and 5-18 in the Big Ten last season. With new additions to the team that bring power at the plate and speed on the bases, the team is looking to improve on that record in 2015.

The team opens its season with back-to-back doubleheaders at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz. The Hoosiers will face off against Western Michigan and Oregon State on Feb. 6 and San Diego and Arizona State on Feb. 7.

“In my opinion, this group has the best potential than any other group of girls we have ever had in my four years,” Myer said. “The freshmen have come in and proved to everyone that they are willing to work and are ready to have success.”