Renting the right way

Somewhere amid a muddle of leases and landlords, you are trying to figure out the logistics of renting.

Here are a few tips from Randall Frykberg, director of IU’s Student Legal Services.

Consider these tips before you get the keys to your new home.

Take pictures of your property before you move in

Inspect the area thoroughly and note any defects. The strongest cases Student Legal Services receives are those with visual evidence, Frykberg said.

“If a defect seems important, windows, door locks, bugs, don’t accept the keys unless your landlord fixes it,” he said.

Know your rights as a tenant

Though most of your rights are specific to your lease, the government also mandates certain standards. The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or disability.

Bloomington code requires all residential renting units meet specific qualifications, ?including:

A heating unit that reaches 65 degrees

Working plumbing

Stable structure

Lockable doors

Sufficient light and ventilation

Fire protection systems and exits

For a complete list, visit bloomington.in.gov

Don’t give your landlord a ?reason to report you

Your landlord or your neighbors can report you for a variety of city violations. These include noise, trash and yard maintenance.

Your landlord might require that you sign a list of house rules covering pets, quiet hours and so forth.

If you break them, you can ?be evicted.

Clauses on your lease might allow your landlord to evict you for certain criminal violations. These include “use and/or sale of illegal drugs, serving alcohol to a minor and even consumption of alcohol by a minor,” according to the Student Legal Services website.

Renters insurance protects your belongings in case of fire, flood, theft and other disasters.

Frykberg said renters insurance is especially important for students with valuable possessions such as computers, televisions, cameras or other electronics.

Adding renters insurance onto your parents’ homeowners insurance is easy. Your car insurance provider can also easily add renters insurance to your policy.

Don’t let friends engage in ?illegal activities on your ?property

As the Student Legal Services website says, “You did a bad deed, hosting friends and their weed.”

Keep in mind you can be held accountable for any illegal activities you permit.

Pick your roommates carefully

“It’s not a Friday-night hookup,” Frykberg said. “It’s more like a marriage.”

It’s important to live with someone you trust. You could end up paying your roommate’s share of the rent if your lease includes a “joint and several liability” clause.

Contact Student Legal ?Services or the Housing and Neighborhood Development Department if you have ?questions.

Student Legal Services, 703 E. Seventh St., offers legal services paid for by your student activity fee.

HAND investigates rental complaints for violations of the Property Maintenance Code.

The department’s website describes the necessary steps in filing a rental complaint at bloomington.in.gov/HAND.