Crafternoon delight

In a world filled with perfect Pinterest projects, we ?twentysomethings sometimes feel pressured to live up to the hype while decorating our first apartments. However, it’s difficult to find a balance between decorative success and a happy wallet. We found some crafts that are cute, affordable and won’t leave you feeling like your apartment is a Pinterest fail.

Yarn letter deco

Short on wall space and looking to spruce up the room with something a little smaller? This craft requires some patience and time but promises a cute result.

Supplies:

Cardboard letter (I found mine at Hobby Lobby), yarn, hot glue gun (super glue works, too), scissors, craft accent piece optional

You have to start somewhere, so unravel your yarn and tie the end of it around one part of your letter. Begin to wrap the yarn around the letter tightly, occasionally pausing to scrunch the yarn so it covers any of the cardboard that’s peeking through.

When you reach the end of the section of your letter, you can tie a knot in it or secure it in place with a hot glue gun. I didn’t have one of those, so I used super glue, which works just fine.

Once you’ve finished your letter, you can add an accent piece of your choice to any part of the letter you like.

Canvas wall art

This craft requires a healthy amount of Mod Podge, but it will certainly brighten up any room with fresh colors and a cute phrase.

Supplies:

Blank canvas — found at any craft store, size is up to you, Mod Podge, scrapbook paper, letter stickers or stencils, paint and brushes, a cute saying or phrase

Adhere your scrapbook paper to the canvas using the Mod Podge. I used a few different colors for variety.

Once the Mod Podge has dried, apply your letter stickers/stencils to spell out your phrase. I used a phrase my mom and her grandma used to say all the time: “I love you a bushel and a peck.”

If you’re using stickers, paint over them. If you’re using stencils, paint carefully around the letters.

Once the paint has dried, peel off the stickers. Touch up any painting errors before applying another layer of Mod Podge to seal the paint. Don’t forget to make sure your touch-ups dry first.

Once your wall art is completely dry, hang it up and enjoy it.

Globe lights

Repurpose a string of holiday lights using old or new ping pong balls for a quick way to brighten up any room without breaking the bank.

Supplies:

A string of lights, ping pong balls, an X-Acto blade (or really sharp scissors)

Count out your ping pong balls and score them with an ‘X’ to mark the spot where the light will go. Ideally, you’ll use an X-Acto to gently score the balls. If you’re me, you’ll just stab a hole in them with scissors and pray they’ll work.

Stick the ping pong ball carefully on the light so it creates a globe.

Repeat for each light on the strand.

Plug in and enjoy.