In honor of the Week of Chocolate, I decided to make a triple chocolate cheesecake for my column. This did not require any arm twisting on my part. Cheesecake and chocolate are two of the greatest things in the world.
Thanks to the Oh My God Chocolate Desserts blog, this craving became a reality. This decadent version of chocolate cheesecake can be made with different variations, but either way, is a smooth, creamy, rich dessert to enjoy.
Become your own ?version of the Cheesecake Factory and try this dessert. You will make your mother proud.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the crust:
- 24 Oreo cookies
- ¼ cup (equal to ½ stick) of unsalted butter
- You can also opt out of making the crust and purchase a premade Oreo cookie crust. It will come in a pie pan and is sold at grocery stores.
For the filling:
- 4 packages of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped or semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
To make the crust:
1. Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9-inch round pie pan.
3. Crush cookies in a food processor to a finely grated mix or place in a large bag and crush with rolling a rolling pin on them.
4. Melt the butter and mix with the crushed cookies.
5. Press the crumb mix to the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
6. Bake the crust for 8 minutes and allow to cool before filling.
Making the actual cheesecake:
1. Melt the 10 ounces of chocolate and allow to cool.
2. Mix in the cream cheese and powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth and consistent.
3. Mix in the cocoa powder.
4. Add the eggs and mix on a low speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer. You can also do this by hand, just make sure the mixture is consistent, meaning all parts are equally blended.
5. Pour the complete filling mixture into the crust and even out the top.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until the top is dry.
7. Cool the cheesecake for 5 minutes by placing on rack or stove top, then slide the cheesecake into the freezer. (For optimal taste, allow to chill over night, but if you are like me and cannot wait, an hour or two will suffice.)
To make the whipped cream:
1. Combine the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla.
2. Wisk until the mixture is thick, light and creamy. The consistency will be just like whipped cream.
Garnish a slice of cream cheese with a spoonful of whipped cream and an Oreo cookie chopped in half. Drizzle the cheesecake with honey for a lightly sweet complement to the deep richness of the chocolate cheesecake.
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.
More in Arts
The celebration will be Friday at Bryan Park.
The singer/producer once again reinvents himself on his newest album.
The documentary details two days of performances given by soul legend Aretha Franklin.