Staff picks: 10 things to know

Moving isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.? 

“Moving is hard, especially when landlords have different move in move out dates. For example, having a lease that ends July 31 but your next lease not starting until August 14. It sucks, but sometimes you can pay your new leaser some extra cash and they move up your move in date. Better than paying for storage.” — Suzanne Grossman, campus editor

Sorting laundry is a necessary evil, or your colors will bleed.? 

Seriously, sort your laundry or put everything in on cold. Don’t think you can get around this. Just take the extra five minutes and sort the laundry.” — Anna Boone, design chief

Some household items can be used for multiple tasks.

“Clorox wipes are multi-functional, use the leftover liquid with normal paper towels.” — Audrey Perkins, arts editor

Pick roommates with similar lifestyles.

“I wish I had thought more about the living style of my roommates. You don’t want to live with dirty people if you highly value order and cleanliness.” — Brody Miller, sports editor

There are ways to save space in a small apartment.

“Use foldable hanging racks for extra space if your closet isn’t big enough — they are cheap (only $15 apiece). I keep my chunky winter jackets/scarves on one. I know someone who uses them instead of a closet since her apartment was completely unfurnished.” — Audrey Perkins

Learn to cook.

“You don’t magically know how — or like — to cook just because you have a kitchen.” — Kathrine Schulze, arts editor

Being on your own can be scary at first.

“This summer, I started living all on my own (no roommate, no close family, no one). I was so caught up in the liberation I would have from my not-so-nice freshman year roommate that it didn’t hit me until my first night that it’s kind of scary.” — Emily Ernsberger, region editor

Get it in writing.

“Make sure you have everything in writing with your landlord or property management. I’ve been through so much back and forth with different managements because my previous landlord and I had a spoken agreement about pricing, but I could not back up my claims with physical documents. Save yourself the hassle.” — Natalie Rowthorn, opinion editor

You’re responsible for the little things.

“I wish I had known all that my parents do around the house because I took that for granted and those are the kind of things you have to do yourself when you’re living on your own. Things like washing the dishes, picking little things up off the floor that build up over time.” — Ike Hajinazarian, photo editor

Can you fix it?? 

“Buy a toolkit and keep it around your apartment. Even if you don’t ever have to use it, it will make you feel more handy and independent.” — Anna Boone