sports women's basketball

Women’s hoops faces another in-state foe

Sophomore guard Taylor Agler dribbles around IUPUI defender Sunday at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers won 68-55 and will return to Assembly Hall next Wednesday to play Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW).

IU Coach Teri Moren knows a little something about playing IU.

Before taking over in Bloomington, she had head coaching jobs at Indianapolis and Indiana State.

So Moren understands that in-state schools care about beating IU.

This is why IU-Purdue University Fort Wayne (4-4) will be coming in to face the IU women’s basketball team (7-1) at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Assembly Hall with a ?purpose.

“We will be their biggest game on their schedule and one that they always circle,” Moren said. “Your focus has to be different going into these games.”

That may be another reason the Hoosiers’ 65-61 loss to ISU on Nov. 30 is a consistent point of emphasis for this team.

“It taught us a lot,” Moren said.

Wednesday’s opponent, IPFW, is a team that has looked great at times and has looked poor at others.

They displayed the ability to compete with Big Ten teams in a Nov. 14 game at Illinois. Despite losing 70-63, the Mastodons led by as much as eight points, and the lead switched six times. They put up 42 bench points but also gave up 31 points off turnovers.

“There’s no fear factor,” Moren said. “They are not going to come in here with any amount of ?intimidation.”

Senior guard Haley Seibert will be the area of focus for IU against the ?Mastodons.

Seibert is averaging 18.6 points per game, as well as shooting 20-of-50 from 3-point range.

Sophomore guard Taylor Agler has covered most opponents’ best scorers, but she will not have that responsibility as much Wednesday.

That job will primarily be up to freshman guard Tyra Buss, although covering Seibert will be by committee, Moren said.

The Mastodons have struggled to stop teams from scoring inside. They gave up 44 and 38 points in the paint in losses to Illinois and the University of South Carolina Upstate, ?respectively.

Against Coastal Carolina, they were outrebounded 53 to 26.

That may be music to IU’s ears, as interior defense can be a weak point at times for the Hoosiers.

An area of strength for IPFW has been its bench scoring. They have had games with 42, 39 and 30 points off the bench.

Moren speaks highly of IU sophomore guard Alexis Gassion and freshman guard Jess Walters.

Gassion will also have a role in guarding Seibert when she gets on the floor. Moren praises her versatility as she can play anywhere in the one through four ?positions.

“I’ll continue to say I’d like her to put it on the deck more and attack and get to the glass because she is such a terrific athlete and has the ability to do that,” ?Moren said.

Walters, similarly, is a player who may not be getting the desired amount of minutes but makes the most of the time presented to her.

She is excited and ready whenever her name is called.

“I wish all of our players had that mindset,” Moren said.

They will be more aware of the energy an in-state team will bring to Assembly Hall than they were against ISU, Moren said.

“We gotta make sure that we maintain and continue to be who we are and protect our floor,” Moren said.