Playing the hero

The United States is sending 1,500 troops overseas under the pretext of collaborating with Iraqi forces to stop the threat of the terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, also known as ISIS.

After 13 years of military engagement in the Middle East, one would believe the U.S. and the American people would hesitate to place ground troops to orchestrate another ?counterinsurgency.

Yet, here we go again.

Regardless of President Obama’s best oratory skills reducing the gravity of America’s involvement in the Middle East against ISIS, the American public fails to realize we are choosing to engage in another war we simply cannot win.

A military engagement in the Middle East against ISIS will result in defeat because the U.S. has lost credibility in the region.

Since the U.S. entered Iraq, America has spent more than a trillion dollars, killed thousands of Middle Eastern troops and ultimately failed in stabilizing the Middle Eastern country.

If history is an indicator of America’s ability to handle a counterinsurgency, it is vital the American people stop politicians from making the same mistake in the same nation.

The U.S. will not win against ISIS because the terrorist group is now fighting with American military equipment due to mistakes made in Iraq.

When the threat of ISIS first arose, the American government dropped military-grade weapons to Kurdish fighters trying to stop ISIS from taking northern Iraq, according to Al Jazeera.

Due to a terrifying, yet predictable logistical mistake, two bundles of weaponry were dropped in the wrong location and at least one is believed to have been picked up by ISIS troops.

Because the enemy is fighting with the same equipment American troops would use in war, ISIS now knows our weapons’ strengths, weaknesses and capabilities.

Despite evidence that points to the imminent defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq against ISIS, the American people are as hungry for war as they were in 2001.

A Gallup poll taken in September found that 60 percent of Americans support the use of U.S. military force against ISIS.

In my opinion, strong support of intervening in Iraq can only be explained as an effect of sensationalized media and American ignorance.

Although ISIS committed horrific actions against Americans, the media’s portrayal of the group oversimplifies the situation into an us versus them scenario.

In actuality, many more countries around the world have much to lose should ISIS continue ?advancing.

The American public should not be so ready to take on the burden of a war against a group that poses a threat to all, not just ?America.

The U.S. does not have to be the hero in foreign policy anymore.

Not only because it shouldn’t, but also because it will ultimately lead to 10 more years of war, trillions of dollars spent and another failed ?mission.