IU looks to correct problems with dropped passes

Freshman receiver Dominique Booth tries to catch a pass during IU's game against Maryland on Sept. 27 at Memorial Stadium.

Untimely drops have become a concerning trend ?for IU.

So much so that IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns has had a hard time keeping track of how many dropped passes his receivers have had.

“We had a big-time drop against Penn State on third down, that really hurt us,” Johns said. “We had a big-time, two big-time, gee whiz, three or four big drops Saturday against Rutgers on third down that really hurt us.”

Already behind because of a young quarterback in freshman Zander Diamont, the Hoosiers’ drops have proven costly the past two games as IU (3-7, 0-6) has struggled to convert on third down.

Against Penn State, freshman Simmie Cobbs dropped a pass that would have picked up a first down near the red zone late in the game.

In IU’s loss to Rutgers last week, IU once again squandered opportunities with drops including a pair of third-quarter miscues from Cobbs and fellow freshman receiver Dominique Booth.

Earlier in the season, the coaches were calling on senior Shane Wynn to limit drops, and he has done so. Still, the dropped passes have continued, which Diamont admitted is frustrating.

Johns is struggling to find the right remedy for the problem. He said sometimes it boils down to a lack of focus. Other times it’s a problem of technique such as having hands turned the wrong way or the ball hitting the chest and hands at the same time.

“Either way, they’re inexcusable,” Johns said. “To me, it’s just a lack of execution.”

IU has relied heavily on a group of freshman receivers who have seen more playing time with injured seniors Nick Stoner and Isaiah Roundtree.

Wynn, IU’s most reliable receiver this season, said the problem is more mental than physical. He said he needs to become a more vocal leader and help the younger players out.

“There’s a lot going through people’s heads and things like that, but you still have to catch the ball,” Wynn said. “I can put it on me as much as everybody else. I’m the leader of the receiving group, and I allow it to happen. They’ll get better at it.”

IU Coach Kevin Wilson complimented Wynn for taking responsibility in recent weeks. Johns said IU would continue to work on building consistency and finding a solution to the drops problem in practice leading up to the game against Ohio State at noon Saturday in Columbus, Ohio.

For Johns, an easy solution is taking the pass out of the equation all together and simply hand it off to junior running back Tevin Coleman, who ran for 307 yards last week against Rutgers.

“I like giving it to Tevin Coleman,” Johns said. “I think he’s a special player. So as long as he keeps smoking it in there and getting some long runs, we’re going to give it to him.”

Roberts suffers concussion

IU senior running back D’Angelo Roberts’ availability will be limited Saturday after he suffered a concussion in the game against Rutgers.

Roberts is IU’s secondary running back, which has opened up the opportunity for carries for other rushers.

Freshman Devine Redding has taken the most snaps for IU at third string, but Johns said he’s confident with whomever IU inevitably puts behind Coleman.

“We feel like we’ve got a pretty good stable of backs,” Johns said. “Whether it’s Devin, whether it’s (Graham) Myles, any of those guys can go out there and fill that role. So I don’t know right now today to give you an honest answer, but I think someone will run out there and fill that spot.”