Davis released from Indianapolis hospital

Sophomore Devin Davis

IU sophomore forward Devin Davis has been released from an Indianapolis hospital and is heading home, IU Coach Tom Crean confirmed Wednesday.

Crean said Davis will now receive outpatient care in Indianapolis as he continues to recover.

Davis’ father posted a photo on Instagram of Davis leaving the Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana on Wednesday.

Davis was seriously injured Nov. 1 when he was struck by a vehicle being driven by freshman teammate Emmitt Holt.

On Nov. 7, IU announced that Davis would be transferred to Indianapolis for rehabilitation after spending his previous recovery at IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

“It gets him back home,” Crean said. “On behalf of all of us here, just like the hospital in Bloomington, the Indianapolis Rehabilitation Hospital has been absolutely fantastic. It’s been great to watch them work and to see how they worked not only with Devin, but to observe other people. This whole situation he’s been around true, true professionals, whether it’s been in Bloomington or Indianapolis. And I know that will continue to be the same now as he goes through the outpatient part of it.”

Crean added that there is no timetable for when Davis could return to basketball, but the fact that he can go home is a good sign.

“I don’t know if there was ever a schedule that could be put in place on that,” Crean said. “It’s like concussions and this was obviously worse than that. There’s no way to really put a timeline on that, and if the doctors aren’t putting a timeline on it, then there’s no way we can.”

Junior guards Yogi Ferrell and Nick Zeisloft were unaware that Davis was released from a hospital when they met with reporters Wednesday to talk about IU’s Thursday game against SMU, but Ferrell said the team is excited for Davis’ recovery.

“That makes us feel great,” Ferrell said. “I definitely want Devin back here as soon as soon as possible. As soon as we get out of here, I’m gonna go say ‘What’s up?’ to him. We’re gonna try to get him back here and get him healthy.”

Sam Beishuizen