Candidates for county sheriff discuss their platforms

This year’s midterm elections are one day away, and on the ballot are two candidates running for the office of Monroe County ?sheriff.

In addition to their law enforcement duties, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office has specific responsibilities.

These include, but are not limited to, maintaining the county jail and facilitating the transportation inmates to and from court.

In Indiana, sheriffs serve four-year terms. The incumbent, Sheriff James Kennedy, did not seek reelection.

The following information was collected through interviews and candidates’ websites .

Brad Swain (D)

Swain has worked in the Monroe County Sheriff’s office for 29 years. He has worked as a jail and patrol officer, but for the last 18 years, he has worked in the investigation division as supervisor.

“It’s the position I’ve aspired to since I began,” Swain said. “And I knew that I would be the best person for the job at this point in time.”

Swain, who is a Bloomington native, got his degree in law enforcement from Vincennes University.

Swain said his years of experience qualify him to be sheriff.

“After working somewhere 29 years ... you tell yourself, ‘Well, if I was sheriff, I would do it this way or that,’” Swain said. ”I guess now’s my opportunity to make that happen.”

Swain said if he were elected sheriff, he would improve the visibility and man power of the sheriff’s patrol division. He said he plans to put the sheriff’s department markings on some of the department’s supervisor vehicles that are unmarked.

Swain said jail overcrowding is a potential issue and said he plans to find a new jail administrator if elected.

Steve Hale (R)

Originally from northwest Indiana, Hale has lived in Bloomington for the past 18 years and has worked in law enforcement during that time. Hale got his start at the sheriff’s office at Monroe County jail, where he eventually became captain. Since 2007, Hale has served in the patrol division as a deputy sheriff.

“It’s a great department,” Hale said. “I love it, but I know we could do a lot more.”

Hale said he wants to make the sheriff’s department more proactive.

“It’s kind of more of a reactive department,” Hale said. ”When something happens, you call us, and we come out and see what we can do for you.”

Hale said the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is young and wants to expand the role of deputies into schools. If he were elected, Hale said he would expand school involvement by having deputies be in closer contact with school officials.