Affirmative action is still necessary

Harvard University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have found themselves in court defending their affirmative action policies.

The Students for Fair Admissions, a nonprofit group consisting of students and parents, is suing both universities regarding their affirmative action policies, according to the Boston Globe.

The lawsuit against Harvard alleges the university places a limit on the number of Asian-American students it admits each year in order to admit more white, black and Hispanic ?applicants.

The lawsuit against UNC alleges the university has not complied with a Supreme Court ruling that states that colleges should engage in race-neutral alternatives before resorting to race-based affirmative ?action policies.

These lawsuits are ridiculous and, frankly, a bit childish.

Affirmative action was introduced by President Lyndon Johnson in 1965 with the intention of leveling the playing field between people of all genders, races and varying abilities.

I’ve personally always struggled with affirmative action.

On one hand, it seemed like a brilliant idea to give minorities a better chance at success.

On the other hand, it seemed like a slap in the face.

The idea that I might have only been accepted to IU because of the color of my skin was the greatest insult I could think of.

I didn’t want the pity of what I imagined to be a group of old white men feeling guilty for the ?slave-worked plantations of their grandfathers. I wanted to know I got here by my own merits. You either earn your place here or you don’t come.

With time, I’ve grown past that prideful outlook to see just how necessary affirmative action is, and the idea that people are pushing to end such ?policies disturbs me.

Just look at IU. We have an affirmative action policy.

Even so, this semester only 3.9 percent of the total degree-seeking population is African American. Hispanics make up 4.6 percent. Asians make up 4.4 percent. White people make up 68.6 percent of the IU population.

These numbers are pathetic. That these numbers are so low even with affirmative action proves just how much we actually need such policies.

IU is no Harvard, but if our numbers are this ridiculous, imagine how bad an Ivy League institution’s could be with these stereotypes of being overrun by rich white boys.

Underrepresentation of minorities is still an issue. The United States isn’t ready to be rid of affirmative action policies yet.

One day we’ll hopefully be able to look back and scoff at the idea that we ever needed them.

For right now, the playing field is still tilted, and minorities need something to hold them up if they want to play with the big guys.