Student-run digital agency launches with official party

Two IU students who said they first met each other last year combined their talents of website development and video production to put together and create their own digitally based company.

By becoming friends, IU students Hayden Mills and Jo Fipps came together and created Mills Digital, a company that specializes in Web design and video production.

The company will have its official launch party at 7 p.m. Friday at Cowork Btown.

Cowork Btown is located at 406 S Walnut St. in downtown Bloomington.

The event is free and open to the public.

“The idea behind the launch party is to celebrate with friends and family and those who supported us since we started this company,” said Mills, IU junior and Mills Digital developer. “It is truly a milestone since we did a lot of work this past summer leading up to this point, so now we can officiate ourselves as a company.”

The launch party is a kickoff celebration for the students getting the company off the ground.

Mills, Fipps and the company’s other employees will be aiming toward marketing themselves to the public and recruiting clients.

The party will have live music for entertainment, and refreshments, free merchandise and giveaways will be provided for all guests.

The agency contains a variety of workers, such as graphic designers, developers, videographers and photographers, who come together to create content across different forms of media.

The mission of the company is to create user-friendly websites and ?profiles as well as promotional videos for their clients, according to the company’s website.

Mills and Fipps said the company strives to develop digital solutions that help businesses better connect with their ?customers.

This past summer, Mills and Fipps did freelance work for companies and organizations such as 3D Custom Creations, Paintings For Strangers and Indiana Young Farmers’ Association.

“We help other businesses showcase themselves in a more interactive form of media,” said Fipps, an IU junior and Mills Digital video producer. “Users can watch these videos and get all the information they need about a company in two minutes.”

Mills Digital currently has three employees on payroll, not including Mills and Fipps. Mills and Fipps are telecommunications and informatics students, respectively.

Employees are paid per project.

The number of projects they complete per month can range from four to five.

Mills Digital will continue to market itself to the public through social media outlets such as Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook, Mills said.

For now, the students’ main goal is to find a permanent office space to serve as their base in Bloomington, Mills said.

The students said they are excited for the company’s launch party today and they hope many students and even prospective clients will attend the party and learn about what their company has to offer.

“Hopefully people will know what we do by the end of the launch party,” Mills said. “We are also hoping in turn they will market us to other people and (direct) clients (to us) in the ?process.”