Rock and roll band takes Bishop stage

Motel Beds is performing at the Bishop on Friday.

When a group of guys asked a friend’s girlfriend what the raunchiest, most disgusting thing she could think of was, Motel Beds, a rock ’n’ roll band, found its name.

Motel Beds, of Dayton, Ohio, will play at 11:59 p.m. Friday at the Bishop Bar in what guitarist Derl Robbins said he expects will be a lot of fun.

“The name happened before I was in the band,” Robbins said.

He said he joined the group about four years ago after his friend, drummer Ian Kaplan, invited him to attend a rehearsal. Though he had sworn himself off bands for a while, he said he wanted to be a part of Motel Beds.

“They kind of just played around locally,” Robbins said, explaining the slow start that eventually ramped up to them signing with No More Fake Labels, a recording label meant to help independent musicians get their start.

After they began to travel and perform more, he said, the group signed with Misra records, their current recording company.

“It’s just been kind of a slow, steady uptick,” he said.

Now, Motel Beds, consisting of original members drummer Ian Kaplan, guitarist Tommy Cooper and vocalist P. J. Paslosky, and newer members Robbins and bassist Tod Weidner, are in the middle of what has been an exciting tour, Robbins said.

Though there have been people in and out of the band throughout the years, Robbins said this is the most solid lineup the group has had.

“We are pretty energetic for a bunch of guys pushing 40 or over 40,” he said.

Robbins said he prefers small towns to bigger venues because of the opportunity to have a personal connection with the audience.

“We hope for the best,” he said, calling the group fun-loving Midwesterners.

Robbins said the tour has consisted mostly of weekend performances because each group member has a family. Despite this, Motel Beds has a great time when they are out on the town, he said.

Motel Beds is the kind of group that will come out and drink a few beers with you, he said.

“I like to think we’re fun,” Robbins said.

When the group is together rehearsing, they share puns, humor and sketches Robbins said they should consider writing down for future use.

On stage, the band runs through a set they know very well, but sometimes it is more fun to deviate, he said.

“It’s definitely a high-energy set,” Motel Beds’ publicist Dave Obenour said.

He said the group’s music is interesting in its melding of influences.

“It’s got an instant accessibility to it,” he said.

Obenour said everything from the harmonies the group creates to seeing Paslosky climb onto a drum set makes for an exciting experience.

“It all just equals a really great show,” he said.

Along with the tour, Robbins said Motel Beds is anticipating a new thrill next spring.

“We’re really excited about our next record,” he said.

Though Robbins said they haven’t chosen a title yet, he is sure it will be something that fits the group perfectly.

But for now, Robbins said he is looking forward to having a good time while performing this weekend.

“We’re just goofy,” he said.

Obenour said he has a great time working with Motel Beds.

“They’re all super sweet, just the nicest guys,” he said.