This Year’s Craze: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Because the Big Cheeze is such a big hit, I wanted to take this week to honor the glory that is known as the gourmet grilled cheese trend.

You should know I think it’s becoming just as popular as the cupcake craze was a few years ago.

Grilled cheese is a college go-to because it’s easy and relatively fun to make, so I’m here to grace you with the top five gourmet grilled cheese recipes out there.

They’re so easy you could make them from the comfort of your own home and with only a few additional ingredients, so it’s cheap, too.

1. Garden grilled cheese

Add some avocados and heirloom tomatoes to your classic grilled cheese for a savory and healthy twist on the classic.

Not only is this combo effortless and delicious, it’s also perfect for any season.

Pair it with deliciously hot tomato soup in the fall and winter or indulge in this sandwich with a tall glass of lemonade in the spring or summer.

2. Classic BLT

Mix your classic grilled cheese with bacon, lettuce and tomato for a combination that can never go wrong.

3. Caprese grilled cheese

Honor Italy by adding a caprese twist to your grilled cheese.

Replace the American cheese with mozzarella and add a pinch of basil and a few slices of fresh tomato to top it off.

4. Loaded nacho grilled cheese

If you feel like indulging, mix it up with your grilled cheese with this after-school-inspired snack.

Use cheddar and mozzarella to make it extra cheesy, and add a dollop of sour cream and salsa for some extra flavor.

If you’re looking to add some protein, feel free to mix in beans and meat for an even more savory touch.

5. Caramelized onion chaos

Go for the gold with caramelized onions and bacon for a unique and rich flavor.

Caramelize the onions in brown sugar and red wine for an even deeper and more unexpected flavor.

Grilled cheese is an easy staple for any student to make and make gourmet.