weekend

"This is Where I Leave You" review

ENTER MOVIE-THISISWHERE-FONDA 2 MCT

Grade: B-

Family is complicated. If I learned one lesson in “This Is Where I Leave You,”  that was it.

“This Is Where I Leave You” is the story of four siblings, Paul, Judd, Wendy and Phillip Altman . They’ve all grown up and gone their separate ways into the world of adulthood, getting married, having kids and finding a career.

When their father dies, the four are called home. The last request of their father is that his family perform Shiva. Shiva is a Jewish mourning ceremony that calls for all first-degree relatives to stay together under one roof for seven days.

Somewhat begrudgingly, the four comply with their father’s wishes and prepare for a week in their mother’s house.

As days pass, and the family becomes reacquainted, current personal dramas are brought to light, secrets are revealed and issues they never resolved are brought to the surface.

Jason Bateman  gives a solid performance as Judd Altman, the stoic, tight-laced brother struggling to keep himself together as his life falls apart around him piece by piece.

Bateman’s dry and simple delivery suited the character’s tempered personality perfectly.

But it’s a personality Bateman has played several times in “The Switch”  and “Horrible Bosses.”  He’s practically the Liam Neeson  of comedy.

Comedy queen Tina Fey  gave her all in the role of Wendy Altman , Judd’s younger sister and closest friend. Fey was able to deliver comedy flawlessly.

But Wendy was more than the sister with an arsenal of quick comebacks and masturbation jokes. Wendy was given a deeper back story, but in those emotional moments, Fey’s performance almost seemed sarcastic.

The plot of “This Is Where I Leave You” is complex. It is not your typical family comedy where everyone learns to understand and accept one another, and everyone gets a happy ending.

The movie is riddled with plot twists coming from left and right field so fast, whiplash is a strong possibility. The pacing of the film is quick and so smooth that you never become bored or too comfortable.

It is by no means a simple comedy. There are some deep, emotional moments and controversial issues that could lead you to question your own morals.

You will definitely laugh, possibly cry and likely yell at the screen.

You might not leave fully satisfied, but you won’t regret it.