IU ready to defend tempo offense

Freshman Tegray Scales jumps over senior Bobby Richardson as they make a tackle in IU's game against Indiana State on Aug. 30 at Memorial Stadium.

IU Defensive Coordinator Brian Knorr compared the Bowling Green offense to that of Baylor.

It’s a system, he said. Year in and year out, it’s the same.

For Baylor, whether it was Heisman Trophy-winner Robert Griffin III or his successor at the helm of the offense, each set records.

In Bowling Green’s season opener at Western Kentucky, junior quarterback Matt Johnson suffered a season-ending hip injury, leaving his spot to be filled by redshirt sophomore James Knapke.

Despite the position change, the offense remains the same, Knorr said.

“It’s a fast-paced tempo, multiple formations and try to get you to not line up,” Knorr said. “We’re still preparing for the same plan that they would have if Johnson was in.”

Coming off a bye week, IU (1-0) has had two weeks to prepare for a matchup at Bowling Green (1-1) on Saturday.

Entering the season, the Falcons’ standout quarterback was a clear contender for Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Johnson threw for 3,467 yards and 25 touchdowns in 13 starts last season.

Knapke took his first ever snap as a starter Saturday. He had thrown just 10 passes in his collegiate career.

“We expect them to do different things because he is a younger quarterback so maybe they’ll try to get the ball out quicker or ease him into the game,” senior safety Mark Murphy said.

In defending the young quarterback, Knorr said it’ll be important for him to know they can come after him.

IU will use its ability to drop eight in coverage or bring four, five or six guys at different times, Knorr said, a strategy that led to allowing just 170 yards of total offense in the Hoosiers’ season opener.

“We have to pick our spots, very much like we did against Indiana State,” Knorr said. “We were able to get off the field a couple of key times when we brought pressure and forced a quick throw.”

That Indiana State game was Aug. 30. While many teams have had the chance to play twice, IU has yet to play a game in September.

IU’s early bye week served as a sort of extension of preseason camp, Murphy said, allowing the defense time to add to the 3-4.

“Maybe you’d like to have your bye week spaced out a little more, but it’s nice to almost still be in that preseason mindset,” he said. “Everyone still feels like they’re building up to really start fast and start the year off well.”

Bowling Green is coming off a 48-7 win VMI, a game in which they compiled 526 yards of total offense. In his first start, Knapke was 22-of-31 passing for 237 yards.

The similar Bowling Green and IU fast-paced offenses allowed the IU defense to prepare for what it’ll see Saturday.

“Our offense is tempo,” Murphy said. “So going back and forth with our offense it was really good just to get used to it, getting the calls, getting to the line, making sure everyone has a sense of urgency.”