oped

Rush changes for the good

opinion illo

IU’s Interfraternity Council changed its rushing process, and the Indiana Daily Student Editorial Board couldn’t be happier.

In the past, the structure of fraternity rush could be considered a mess.

The greek chapters would set up tables in Dunn Meadow. All interested prospective members would then gather in the Meadow and wait to talk to the chapter representatives.

The problem with this process was it became a popularity contest. Potential pledges would flock to the big frat tables, more interested in the chapters with far-reaching reputations. Smaller, lesser known ?fraternities were then left in the dust.

The new rush system is looking to change all of that.

Instead of moshing in Dunn Meadow, potential recruits registered for formal recruitment through IUIFC.org. On the website, recruits can make customized profiles and research chapters before the rush process begins.

This eHarmony for frats turns out to be a great idea. It’s especially beneficial for out-of-state students, said Dylan Nash, IFC vice president of recruitment. These men are able to look up information on all 32 fraternities. They can then make a well-informed decision regarding the rest of their recruitment.

The second rush change occurred during the weekend. Rush groups of 20-30 students visited each fraternity for 30 minutes where they talked with the brothers.

This is where a big chunk of the bias in the former rush process vanishes. The guys can’t just collect around a few select tables.

They have to visit each one, giving each chapter a fair and equal ?opportunity to sell itself.

It’s also fairer to the recruits, who get to pitch themselves to each chapter and find the one that is truly best suited for them.

The process continues this week. Recruits and current fraternity brothers participated in games and sports Monday, and recruits joined brothers in various philanthropy events ?Tuesday.

Today, each chapter will have an individual open event. Recruits can attend as many as they would like.

Unstructured recruitment resumes Thursday, and fraternities may have as many events as they wish and will contact recruits ?individually.

The changes are a positive adjustment to a community on campus that is easily looked down on as ?superficial and unfair.

The Editorial Board sees a lot of promise in these changes and hopes the Interfraternity Council will continue applying them.