Rosanne Cash to take stage at Auditorium

Iconic recording artist Rosanne Cash is bringing the sounds of the South to IU today.

The country singer-songwriter and author will perform at 8 p.m. tonight at IU Auditorium.

She will promote her newest album, “The River and the Thread,” and some of her classic material, which will all be a part of her concert tour, according to the auditorium’s website.

Although Cash is classified as a country artist, she also plays other genres such as folk, pop, rock and blues and has crossed these styles in her music.

“Rosanne is a real quality singer and songwriter, and she has a career that is 30 years deep in country, folk and roots music,” Danny Kahn, Cash’s manager, said. “She is a wonderful singer and has a fantastic band and fantastic body of work. There’s nothing not to enjoy.”

She has performed for more than three decades, recorded 15 albums and reached musical achievements such as a Grammy, 21 Top 40 hits and Americana Honors and Awards’ Album of the Year Award.

The oldest daughter of ?musical icon Johnny Cash and stepdaughter of June Carter Cash, Rosanne was influenced by American country music and the culture of the South when growing up.

Upon release, her recent album “The River and the Thread” was well-received by critics.

Kahn said the album is lyrically abstract and is based upon Cash’s mystical view of the American South.

“The album as a whole is a modern interpretation of the poetic beauty and uniqueness of that part of the country,” Kahn said. “Rosanne deals with that in her own artistic vision on people and places and how they interact with each other.”

On the night of her performance, the IU Auditorium will also feature a free pre-show talk by IU professor Brandon Barker at 7 p.m. in Woodburn 120. This will give students who may not know much about Cash’s work the opportunity to explore her musical influence and heighten their concert experience.

“The IU Auditorium has a long history of presenting world-class artists and entertainers, and we were very fortunate to add Ms. Cash to such a prestigious list,” said Maria Talbert, IU Auditorium associate director.

“From learning what artists our patrons are interested in seeing, to investigating how to best improve the event experience, to keeping our facility technologically advanced, our team ensures that we are not only able to connect the students and the community with artists such as Ms. Cash but also ensures we provide a venue in which artists of her stature are excited to perform.”

Talbert said Cash’s performance will incorporate multimedia storytelling.

“This event, which is a multimedia journey through the American South, not only showcases Cash’s incredible prowess as a singer-songwriter but highlights her ability to transport concert-goers through her storytelling,” Talbert said. “She has teamed up with visual artist D.J. Mendel to create a multimedia presentation that is not only audibly impressive but visually ?stunning.”

Tickets range from $18 to $40 for IU students and $35 to $50 for the public. Tickets can be purchased online at the auditorium’s website or at the box office.

“Anyone who appreciates good music and American music would love this concert,” Kahn said. “It’s just wonderful music all around with good singing, a beautiful atmosphere, tremendous stories and a great band to go along with the songs and music. It’s songwriting in an art form.”