oped

Nailing safety, in theory

Opinion illo

Sexual assault remains a problem on college campuses all across the country. The issue has inspired some to come up with creative means of ?prevention.

A group of students at North Carolina State University is developing a nail polish that can detect the presence of date rape drugs.

While it is obvious the idea comes from an intention to help lower the risk of sexual assault, the message the product sends could be harmful instead.

Any idea or product that stops rape should be explored and, if it works, ?utilized.

It is naïve to live as though things such as date rape drugs don’t exist, and doing so could get someone seriously hurt.

In an effort to combat the sexually predatory situation that many girls find themselves in, many products such as coasters, and now nail polish, are trying to perfect the science of prediction.

It remains to be seen whether or not this can be done, but in the meantime there are a few problems with this particular theoretical product that should be addressed before it hits the shelves.

First of all, the product is directed at women, which completely ignores other demographics at risk for sexual assault.

Generally, nail polish is considered to be a feminine staple, and men unwilling to cross that line are left unprotected by this product.

Targeting the female demographic this way reinforces the idea that rape is a women’s problem, which silences men who might be ashamed to be victims and puts the burden of prevention on women.

Not only are women expected to check their drinks for date rape drugs, they are also required to do it stealthily, as though not to offend their potential rapist.

It is true that not every guy who hands you a drink is suspicious, but considering most rapes are committed by someone the victim knows, a person can’t always know just by looking.

Women should not have to hide the fact they are protecting themselves, because if they don’t, they are blamed for being reckless, stupid or slutty.

Projecting that you are testing your drink makes it less likely that someone will try to slip something into it.

The real problem with this product, and with those like it, is they have the potential to perpetuate victim-blaming in cases of sexual assault.

Instead of addressing the problem — that of some men don’t understanding consent or that the media continuously projects women as sex objects instead of people or that sick sexual predators on the loose because their sexual crimes have not been taken seriously — it is just another Band-Aid.

It is another piece of advice that, while meant to work as armor during the uphill battle of eradicating the real problems, will inevitably serve as just another way to blame the woman for not taking yet another inconvenient and ultimately ineffective precaution.

Women can’t walk alone at night, they can’t wear short skirts, and now they can’t even paint their nails the color of their choice.

Until we can teach our society to not rape instead of to not get raped, these bandages are what we have to protect ourselves from predators. They are the definition of the lesser of two evils.

The ultimate goal would be that people don’t have to worry about things such as this.

Until that utopia is realized, products that help protect everyone from the creeps of the world are necessary, ?encouraged and welcome.