Meet the state candidates

The Midterm Election is Nov. 4. While a lot of focus across the nation is situated on the Congressional elections, three offices for the Indiana State government are also going to be chosen by voters. If elected, those chosen will serve four-year terms.

Candidate information was compiled from candidates’ websites and interviews.

SECRETARY OF STATE

The secretary of state is in charge of state records, overseeing state elections, chartering businesses, regulating the securities industry and registering trademarks and licenses of vehicle dealerships.

Beth White (D)

White, a Bloomington Native and IU alumna, is the Marion County Clerk. In 2008, she created yVote!, a program to help high school students learn about the voting process, as well as helping them register.

She has also increased the number of voting locations, expanded early voting hours and has helped enhance online court payment services.

Karl Tatgenhorst (L)

Tatgenhorst, from Chesterton, Ind., believes that there are too many barriers for candidates trying to be put on the ballot. He would like to see less of them, as well as change guidelines involving redistricting.

Connie Lawson (R)

Lawson was appointed to serve as the Secretary of State in 2012 by then-Gov. Mitch Daniels following former Secretary of State Charlie White’s criminal convictions.

During her time in the office, she has been most active in the voting process, including updating records and creating new ways for Indiana residents to register to vote, such as the IndianaVoters mobile app launched last week.

AUDITOR

The auditor is in charge of state funds, local tax distributions and paying the state’s bills.

Michael A. Claytor (D)

Claytor, a certified public accountant and lawyer, would like to see more accountability of the auditor’s office. He wants to establish an internal audit control system and develop a transparency portal.

John Schick (L)

Schick, an IU alumnus and consultant at Information Services Group, believes that there are constitutional limits to spending that should be applicable to recent spending initiatives.

Suzanne Crouch (R)

Crouch was appointed to the auditor position by Gov. Mike Pence in January. During the last fiscal year, Indiana had a $106.8 million surplus, and is expected to have another surplus the following year of over $200 million.

TREASURER

The treasurer is in charge of investing money across the state. The current treasurer is Daniel Huge, who was chosen last month to serve until the next term.

Mike Boland (D)

Boland, a former Illinois legislator, would like to see higher tax credits for Indiana residents using the 529 Direct Savings Plan, a program for beneficiaries saving money for student loans.

He would also like to give Indiana banks that abide with policies Boland would like to impose, such as giving students and entrepreneurs of small businesses smaller interest rates.

Mike Jasper (L)

Jasper would like to to invest state funds in creating jobs, including helping those who would like to start businsesses. He also would like to add transparency to state reporters, detailing who has received state money and measuring its impact.

K elly Mitchell (R)

Mitchell worked for the treasurer’s office for seven years under former treasurer Richard Mourdock, who stepped down last month.

She stepped down to campaign for the position. She hopes to increase fiscal literacy across the state, specifically for students, veterans and educators.

She would like to start a program designed for teachers to learn about fiscal literacy to teach to their students.