Jacobs appoints recording artist D. James Tagg

The IU Jacobs School of Music has added a new and experienced staff member to its lineup.

D. James Tagg was hired as an assistant professor of the recording arts for the music school.

Tagg joined the faculty this fall semester and will be teaching multiple classes, such as an audio seminar, fundamental electronics and a live sound production course.

These are more research-based courses added to building curriculum for the Jacobs students.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing students who are talented and excited to record classical music,” Tagg said. “There are so many recording studios that focus on pop, but I have always preferred to listen to classical and chamber music ?production.”

Despite the programs he was in, he said he was always surprised with the number of engineers in his field who didn’t understand the basic fundamentals of producing classical music and the style of it.

One of Tagg’s primary duties as an IU staff member is to oversee the archive recordings of the IU concert performances from orchestra and other Jacobs associated bands.

It is something he’s done a lot in the past and said he enjoys.

During his time at IU’s music school, Tagg aims to help music students master their recording skills.

“(I’m) trying to train proficient engineers who are thoughtful about the craft,” Tagg said. “Music is subjective but I want to give the students the tools on how to give the music justice.”

Tagg has a history in the music field.

He spent 15 years ?practicing and performing as a singer, pianist and saxophonist.

He received his bachelor’s degree in music from the University of Miami.

He gained his master’s degree in music from the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, according to a press release.

He recorded three Grammy-nominated albums for Miami-based choir Seraphic Fire.

“I am thrilled that Jamie is joining the faculty at the Jacobs school,” said Konrad Strauss, chair of the recording arts department, in a press release. “His passion for teaching will be an invaluable asset to our department, and his professional experience, along with his knowledge of audio theory and technology, will help us better prepare our students for success after graduation.”

Tagg worked as a research specialist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, a consultant for THAT media and a product specialist for Benchmark Media.

His research focuses on spatial realism and acoustic envelopment in sound recordings, according to his website.

He developed a new stereo recording technique for augmented ambience ?gradient.

Tagg also developed digital signal processing tools that are used by TV manufacturers to enhance the special width from flat-screen television speakers.

IU’s Department of Recording Arts is known as one of the top leading recording programs in the country.

“Coming into this department at first, I found it exciting how genuinely collaborative everyone is,” Tagg said. “Everyone here isn’t all caught up in challenging each other, but instead working together, just focusing on the art.”