IU, Purdue to discuss IPFW management

IU-Purdue University Fort Wayne may soon be under new management.

IU and Purdue University will soon begin preliminary discussions regarding the future management of IPFW, currently shared by IU and Purdue and managed by Purdue, according to an IU release.

The fifth largest university in Indiana, IPFW enrolled 9,795 degree-seeking undergraduate students and 1,496 degree-seeking graduate students in 2013, according to the IPFW website.

IPFW comprises five colleges, one school and two divisions for a total of 33 academic departments and more than 200 academic options, according to the ?website.

One of two campuses shared by IU and Purdue, IPFW has been under Purdue management since 1964, while IU-Purdue University Indianapolis has been under IU management since 1969, according to the University.

A recent report published by Policy Analytics, an Indianapolis-based firm, and commissioned by the Northeast Regional Partnership, a Fort Wayne-based organization, recommended that management of IPFW be transferred from Purdue to IU.

IU Vice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations Mike Sample, appointed by IU President Michael McRobbie, will represent IU in the preliminary discussions.

Purdue Vice President for Public Affairs Julie Griffith, appointed by Purdue President Mitch Daniels, will also be present.

Both parties will meet with representatives from IPFW.