sports men's soccer

IU headed to South Bend

IU will once again fight Notre Dame for a title.

One week after being named co-champions of the IU Credit Union Classic in Bloomington, Ind., they will vie for the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament crown.

But, like last weekend, IU (1-0-1) and Notre Dame (1-0-1) will not play one another. Instead they will both take the field against Kentucky (1-1) and Dartmouth (0-0).

The history book between IU and Dartmouth contains just one match between the two, a 4-0 Dartmouth win in 2008.

The Mike Berticelli Tournament will also be Dartmouth’s opening weekend, even though most college teams kicked off last weekend.

This presents a distinct challenge in that Dartmouth has game film of all three of its opponents entering the tournament, but no team has any film on them.

IU holds a significant edge against Kentucky in terms of past meetings, boasting a record of 23-1-3 against the Wildcats.

The most recent meeting between the two was in 2012, where IU won 4-1.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said the IU-Kentucky rivalry extends to the soccer pitch but that their historical advantage will have little bearing on the outcome Friday night.

“I think that their players and our players feel that,” Yeagley said. “That’s what makes the game a little more intriguing, but I don’t think our guys could tell you one bit about our record.”

IU is also trying not to focus on the results of last weekend.

“We’re happy with the weekend and the results, but that’s completely done with,” senior Patrick Doody said. “It’s two games out of a long season.”

After the results last ?weekend, IU is now ranked in a multitude of polls. The highest ranking they hold is in the NSCAA Coaches poll.

IU was unranked entering the season, but after a weekend where they tied one ranked team and defeated another they jumped to No. 12.

“We had a good weekend with the results, so it’s nice to get the recognition,” sophomore Tanner Thompson said. “All the stuff off the field is off the field so we try not to look too much into it and focus on what’s happening on the field.”

In both games of the IU Credit Union Classic Yeagley deployed seven members of his bench, a change from last season when he typically used three or four.

The change is because he feels his bench has changed. In previous years he brought in players of similar styles for one another.

This season, he said, he can bring in a player whose style of play contrasts who he is replacing.

The increased depth could also allow IU to play with more pressure in ?defense.

Yeagley used seven different players in his four defense positions in the IU Credit Union Classic.

“I think it plays a factor,” Doody said. “If we’re getting the green card to go out and run as hard as we can for 15-20 minutes then it definitely helps our defensive ?pressure.”

Whether it is the increased pressure or something else entirely, the IU defense has found success earlier than in 2013.

IU’s first shutout came in its second game this season, as opposed to the ninth game in 2013.

“We’re not going to get too caught up in stats right now,” Yeagley said. “If we just keep playing each game and keep that as a focus I’m confident we can continue to have ?positive results.”