sports men's soccer

Hoosiers climb rankings, pick up honors

IU Men's Soccer

A pair of Hoosiers picked up recognition Tuesday, and the team itself climbed up national rankings.

After just one weekend of college soccer, freshman Grant Lillard is gaining ?accolades.

Lillard was named to the all-tournament team for the IU Credit Union Classic on Sunday and to Top Drawer Soccer’s first team of the week of the 2014 season Tuesday.

Lillard is the only IU player on the team and the only player who competed in the IU Credit Union Classic last weekend.

The 6-foot-4-inch defender played every minute of both games against ranked opponents Georgetown and Marquette. Lillard was the only member of the IU defense to do so.

Lillard was often seen stopping attacks from talented offensive players from both Georgetown and Marquette and even strode forward with the ball a few times.

One of these occasions led to IU’s lone goal against Marquette in Sunday’s 1-0 win.

Sophomore goalkeeper Colin Webb picked up Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honor after making seven saves in the weekend and being named to the IU Credit Union Classic All-Tournament team. It was the second time he claimed the award in his career.

In addition to Lillard and Webb gaining national recognition, IU moved into the rankings of Top Drawer Soccer, College Soccer News and Soccer America.

IU is ranked No. 19 in Top Drawer Soccer’s rankings, No. 22 in College Soccer News’ rankings and No. 17 in Soccer America’s.

IU was not ranked in any polls entering last weekend.